Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Enjoy the flavors of this classic Jambalaya made all in one pot, loaded with chicken, andouille sausage, and shrimp. This colorful dish packed with fresh ingredients may look intimidating at first glance, but it is a cinch to make.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb andouille sausage sliced in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 lb chicken thighs boneless and skinless, cut in small pieces (chicken breast works as well)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium bell pepper chopped (I used red and green)
- 1 1/2 cups white rice I used jasmine (long grain)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth low sodium or no sodium added, or water
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined, I left the tails on
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
In a large skillet or a dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the andouille sausage and chicken thighs and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sausage has started to brown. Transfer to a plate. Add the 2 tbsp of butter and melt. To it add the onion, celery, peppers and garlic. Cook for 5 min until the onion softens. A
Stir in the rice and cook for a couple minutes just until it gets a bit toasty. Add dried oregano, bay leaves, salt, pepper, hot sauce, cajun seasoning, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth to the pot and stir. Cook until it comes to a boil, stirring occasionally. Turn down the heat to medium low, cover the Dutch oven and cook for 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked through. Stir every 5 minutes or so to make sure the rice doesn't burn or stick to the bottom of the pot.
Stir in the shrimp and okra and continue cooking until the shrimp is cooked through and pink.
Remove the bay leaves and discard. Add the sausage and chicken back to the pot and adjust with seasoning if needed, such as salt, pepper or additional cajun seasoning.
Serve garnished with green onions and parsley.
- Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- You can reheat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. You can also reheat the leftovers in a skillet over medium heat with a splash of broth to keep it from drying out.
Calories: 601kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 254mg | Sodium: 1118mg | Potassium: 779mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2211IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 148mg | Iron: 4mg