Add to Collection
Go to Collections
These Buttermilk Biscuits are flaky and buttery, melt in your mouth delicious! Incredibly easy to make, completely from scratch and ready in 20 minutes.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter unsalted, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg beaten for egg wash
Preheat oven to 450 F degrees.
Combine dry ingredients: In a large bowl add the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix it all. To it add the cubed or grated butter.
Combine the dough: Using a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. If using grated butter, you just have to mix the butter in with the flour. Next, add the buttermilk to the bowl. Stir in the buttermilk until just moist and knead the dough a few times.
Assembly: Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead it a couple times just until it comes together. Don't over-work it as it will start melting the butter. Roll out the dough to 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness, and cut with a 2 inch biscuit cutter. You should get about 12 biscuits. Place the biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet and brush with egg wash. You can also place the biscuits into a buttered skillet.
Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until nice and golden.
- These biscuits will stay fresh for up to 3 days in covered and stored at room temperature.
- They also freeze well, just be sure to freeze them spaced evenly on a cookie sheet before placing in a freezer bag or airtight container. This method will allow them to stay fresh for up to 3 months.
- Nutritional information assumes 12 biscuits for this recipe. Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Serving: 1biscuit | Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 421mg | Potassium: 201mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 432IU | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 2mg