Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Cheese Sticks (Saratele)
Cheese Sticks (Saratele) - these cheesy and delicious breadsticks are a great snack we usually make during the holidays but can be enjoyed throughout the year.
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 6 oz margarine
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 1 cups gruyere cheese shredded
To the bowl of your mixer add the ricotta cheese, yogurt, margarine, egg, yeast, salt and beat using the paddle attachment of your mixer over medium until well incorporated. Add 1/2 of the flour, continue mixing until well incorporated then add the remaining flour, switch to the hook attachment and continue mixing until the dough comes off the sides of the bowl.
Place the dough in a large oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
Cut the dough into 2 pieces. Sprinkle some flour over your work surface and roll out one of the dough pieces into a rectangle so that it's about 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut them into long strips and place them onto the prepared baking sheets. You can poke holes into each stick using the end of a skewer, but this step is optional.
Brush the sticks with the egg wash then sprinkle with the shredded gruyere cheese.
Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. While the sticks are baking repeat with remaining piece of dough.
- Please note that I have doubled the recipe in the video, because we just love these so much.
- Butter can also be used in place of margarine.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- This recipe yields about 6 dozen sticks and nutritional information is based on about 4 sticks per serving.
- You can keep them right on the counter on a plate! Or just wrap the bread sticks with plastic wrap, then refrigerate. When serving again, you can place them on a pan directly in the oven for a few more minutes to heat them through.
- These are great to make ahead. Prepare them as you would then wrap the baking sheet tightly with plastic wrap and freeze for up to a month so that they stay frozen and separated. Take them out of the freezer and allow to thaw overnight in the fridge when ready to eat. Next bake them and serve.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 203mg | Potassium: 93mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 503IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 126mg | Iron: 1mg