Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
This Curried Butternut Squash Soup is perfectly spiced with cumin, curry and turmeric, loaded with butternut squash and apples. Creamy, delicious and soul-warming! This recipe is the epitome of fall comfort food.
- 6 strips bacon chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 lb large butternut squash about 1 cubed
- 1 large apple pealed, cored and cut into cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
In a large soup pot add the bacon and fry it until crispy over medium-high. Remove the bacon from the pot and set aside. Leave the bacon fat in the pot.
Add the chopped onion and cook for about 3 minutes until it softens and becomes translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add all the spices: curry, turmeric, cardamom, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and stir.
Stir in all the chicken broth then add the cubed butternut squash and apple. Turn the heat down to a medium and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the butternut squash is fork tender.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup on high until creamy and smooth. Alternatively you can transfer the soup to a blender and puree it that way.
Stir in the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as necessary.
Garnish with fresh oregano and serve as is or top with goat cheese and crispy fried bacon.
- Sometimes you may be able to find butternut squash that's already peeled and cubed in your local grocery store. A potato/apple peeler work well for peeling the skin off a whole butternut squash.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Coconut milk can be used in place of cream to make this dairy-free.
- Nutritional information does not include goat cheese and maple syrup. Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 476mg | Potassium: 544mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 8845IU | Vitamin C: 19.5mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 1.8mg