Add to Collection
Go to Collections
One Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
This Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is made all in ONE POT and ready in only 30 minutes. It's cheesy, it's comforting, loaded with broccoli and super simple to make!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 chicken breasts cut into small cubes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ cup rice uncooked
- 10 oz cream of chicken soup (1 can)
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add chopped onion and cubed chicken. Cook on medium heat for a few minutes until the chicken starts to brown a bit. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until garlic gets aromatic.
Add the rice, cream of chicken soup and chicken broth. Start with 2 cups of chicken broth and if more is needed add more until rice is fully cooked. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and cook over medium heat until the rice is fully cooked, stirring occasionally, should take about 15 minutes or so. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
Add the broccoli florets and half the cheese then continue cooking for 2 more minutes, until broccoli softens a bit. Sprinkle over the top with remaining cheese and place the skillet under the broiler for a couple more minutes, just until it melts and starts to brown a bit.
Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
- I don't have condensed cream of chicken soup, what can I use: You can make your own cream of chicken soup using this recipe:
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then add the flour and mix until it turns into a paste. Whisk in the milk and chicken broth until the flour paste is dissolved. Season with onion powder, salt and pepper. Continue whisking until the soup is smooth and creamy.
- What kind of rice should I use: I used a long grain rice (Basmati) and I recommend a long grain rice over a short grain rice because the shorter grain rice gives you a creamier rice. If using brown rice, it will take longer to cook and may require more liquid. If you wanted to speed this up you could even use quick cooking rice.
- How do I store leftovers: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 244kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 636mg | Potassium: 410mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 530IU | Vitamin C: 29.9mg | Calcium: 172mg | Iron: 1.4mg