Add to Collection
Go to Collections
This Lemon Rice and Chicken Soup also known as Avgolemono is a classic Greek soup thickened with eggs, loaded with rice, chicken and flavored with lots of lemon. This soup is a hearty delicious soup requiring minimal effort and ready in only 30 minutes!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1/2 cup Arborio rice *
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 3 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3 eggs
- 2 chicken breast cooked and shredded with 2 forks, skinless and boneless
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/4 cup dill chopped
Saute veggies: Heat the oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat then add the chopped onion and carrot and cook for about 5 minutes or just until the carrot is tender and the onion is translucent.
Add rice and broth: Add the rice and chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
Prepare eggs with lemon juice: Meanwhile in a small bowl beat the egg together with lemon juice.
Finish the soup: Add the shredded chicken to the pot, then add about a ladle of the soup broth to the egg mixture and stir. Pour the egg mixture into the soup. You will notice the soup thickening up. Season with salt and pepper as needed and if you feel the soup needs more lemon, add more lemon juice as desired.
Garnish and serve: Garnish with lots of dill, with some feta cheese and lemon slices if you prefer, then serve.
- * Arborio rice is an Italian short-grain rice.
- I used 2 small cooked chicken breasts which I shredded with 2 forks, should be about 2 cups of shredded chicken.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 324mg | Potassium: 389mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1980IU | Vitamin C: 6.5mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1.7mg