Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Easy Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma
Learn how to make this super Easy Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma, plus an out of this world garlic sauce and prepare your own chicken shawarma wraps. Beats takeout or fast food!
- 4 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin ground
- 2 tsp black pepper ground
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 tbsp parsley fresh, for garnish
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 egg white *
- 1 tsp salt
In a large bowl add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, cumin, black pepper, paprika, turmeric, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, garlic, and whisk well. Add the chicken and toss making sure the chicken is well coated in the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least an hour. The longer the meat marinates the more flavour you'll have.
Preheat oven to 425 F degrees. Add sliced onion to bowl with chicken and toss well so that the onion is fully coated in the marinade. Add everything to a 9x13 baking dish. I didn't have much marinade leftover since the chicken absorbed most of it, so that's why I added everything to the baking dish. Spread everything evenly over the baking dish.
Bake in the oven until the chicken is browned and crisp on the edges, for about 40 to 45 minutes. If you want the chicken crispier on top, turn the broiler on to high and broil for 3 minutes until nice and crispy on the outside.
Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes, then slice it into bits.
Chicken Shawarma Wraps
To make the chicken shawarma wraps, warm up the wraps first in the microwave for about 30 seconds, then spread some hummus over each wrap, spoon about 2 or 3 tbsp of tabbouleh salad, add chicken shawarma, and drizzle with garlic sauce and serve.
- Prep time does not include time for marinating chicken.
- *If you don't want to use raw egg whites in the garlic sauce, you can omit it, just add the oil little by little to the blender until it thickens and should have the consistency of mayonnaise.
- You can find the homemade hummus recipe here. You can find the tabbouleh salad recipe here.
- Nutritional information does not include tabbouleh salad, hummus or pitas. It does include garlic sauce. Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 460kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 644mg | Potassium: 253mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 419IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg