Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Mexican Beef and Rice Casserole
This Mexican Beef and Rice Casserole is an easy and delicious comfort food! A colorful dish loaded with beef, rice, fire-roasted tomatoes, and so much more! It's the perfect weeknight meal that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 bunch spinach ends trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 14 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes (1 can) can substitute with regular diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa store bought
- 2 cups Mexican 4 cheese blend shredded
- 1 cup long grain rice uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
Preheat oven: To 375 degrees and spray a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray; set aside.
Cook the beef: In a large skillet, cook the ground beef for about 5 minutes, breaking it into crumbles, over medium-high heat. Stir in taco seasoning and continue to cook until the beef starts to brown and is no longer pink.
Add vegetables: Add the spinach, corn, roasted tomatoes, salsa, and 1/2 of the shredded cheese to the skillet and stir. Finally, add the rice and broth, and stir until ingredients are well incorporated.
Assemble casserole: Spoon the contents of the skillet into the prepared casserole dish, cover with aluminum foil.
Cook casserole: Place the casserole dish into the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until the rice is cooked. When finished, remove the foil and top with remaining cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Garnish and serve: Once removed from the oven, garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- To freeze this, cook it completely without cheese and let it cool completely. Transfer it to an airtight container, then just reheat it in the microwave (add the cheese now) when ready to serve.
- Use any type of broth you have on hand
- You can use ground chicken, pork, or turkey for this recipe if you'd like.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 268kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 469mg | Potassium: 362mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 548IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 215mg | Iron: 2mg