Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Meatballs with Mushroom Sauce
Meatballs with Mushroom Sauce - pork meatballs in a delicious creamy mushroom sauce served over mashed potatoes. Comforting and incredibly delicious!
- 2 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp hot sauce I used Sriracha sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
For the mushroom sauce
- 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms sliced
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine the meatballs: Add all the meatball ingredients (excluding the vegetable oil) to a large bowl and mix well using your hands. Shape into 1 inch meatballs. You should get about 40 to 50 meatballs.
Prep for cooking: Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Add some vegetable oil to a large skillet, about 1/4 cup and heat it over medium-high heat.
Cook the meatballs: Add meatballs to the skillet and cook. If not all meatballs fit in the skillet you will have to do this in a couple batches. Cook the meatballs on all sides, adding more oil if needed in between batches. Remove meatballs from skillet to prepared baking sheet, to soak up the oil.
Saute the mushrooms: Discard any leftover oil from the skillet and add the butter and melt. Add the mushrooms to the skillet and saute for about 5 minutes until they start to brown.
Create the sauce: Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and stir, cook for about 1 minute to remove the raw taste of flour. Add the white wine, heavy cream and chicken broth. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken and reduce a bit. If the sauce is too thick add a bit more heavy cream or chicken broth.
Finish the dish: Add the meatballs to the mushroom sauce and toss them around making sure they're covered in the sauce. Cook for 2 more minutes until they heat through, then garnish with fresh parsley or dill. Serve over mashed potatoes, noodles or rice.
- To bake the meatballs instead of frying, preheat your oven to 375 F degrees and bake for about 30 to 45 minutes until golden brown.
- This meatball recipe will last 3 – 4 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container. To freeze just place the cooked meatballs on a baking sheet and freeze separately to begin with. Transfer them to a freezer bag or otherwise airtight container and place back in the cold and they’ll keep for up to 3 months.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 667kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 50g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 212mg | Sodium: 296mg | Potassium: 756mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 3mg