Add to Collection
Go to Collections
These incredibly delicious Apple Dumplings are sweet, flaky and drizzled with a tasty syrup. Serve them with a scoop of ice cream for a true comforting experience.
For The Crust
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp butter unsalted, cold and cut into cubes
- 8 tbsp shortening cold and cut into cubes
- 6 tbsp ice water or more as needed
- 4 medium apples peeled, cut half in and cored
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Form the crust: Start by making the crust. Add the flour, salt, butter, shortening to the bowl of your mixer and mix to incorporate. Start adding a little bit of water at a time, and keep adding until the dough starts to come together.
Refrigerate the dough: Dump the dough onto your work surface and divide it into 2 pieces. Wrap each piece of dough in plastic wrap then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Combine the syrup: Add all the syrup ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn the heat down to a simmer and let the syrup reduce to about half, should take about 8 to 10 minutes.
Prep the apples: Peel the apples, cut them in half and remove the core.
Assemble and Bake
Combine the filling: In a small bowl mix together the 3 tbsp of brown sugar with 1 tsp of cinnamon. Take 2 tablespoons of butter, cut it into 8 small pieces and roll each piece in the sugar cinnamon mixture. Place each butter piece in the center of each apple.
Preheat your oven to 425 F degrees.
Cut the crust: On a floured surface, roll out one of the pieces of crust and cut it out into 4 pieces. Each piece of has to be big enough to folder over the apple completely. Fold the crust over the apples, use a bit of water if necessary to wet your finger and run it along the edge of the crust. Pinch off any excess dough.
Assemble the dish: Pour about a ladle of the brown sugar syrup into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place the apple dumplings in the baking dish and pour the remaining syrup over the apples.
Bake for about 40 minutes or until the apple dumplings are golden brown. Let the dumplings cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Baked apple dumplings will keep at room temperature for up to 2 days, covered loosely with foil or plastic wrap. You can keep them for an additional 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap.
- To freeze, wrap the dumplings tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap and store it in the freezer for 3 to 4 months.
- Thaw out the apple dumplings in the fridge and then reheat it in a 350 F degree oven for 30 minutes or until warm.
Serving: 1dumpling | Calories: 608kcal | Carbohydrates: 81g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 161mg | Potassium: 190mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 581IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 3mg