Add to Collection
Go to Collections
An incredible Albondigas soup which is a traditional Mexican meatball soup loaded with vegetables and full of flavor.
- 1 lb ground beef extra lean
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup rice long grain, uncooked (I used Basmati)
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup mint fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup oregano fresh, chopped or about 1 tbsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
For Albondigas soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot chopped to your liking
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 3 cups beef broth low sodium
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp cilantro fresh, chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley fresh, chopped
In a bowl add all the meatball ingredients together and mix well. Shape into meatballs about 1 inch in diameter. You should get about 25 to 30 meatballs, depending on how big you make them. Place meatballs in fridge until ready to add to soup.
Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottom 5 qt pot to medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add chopped carrots and potatoes to pot and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes until you get a nice caramelization going.
Add the tomatoes, broth, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil and turn down heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
Add meatballs to pot one at a time, slowly. Using a wooden spoon slowly stir. Cover and let cook over low to medium heat for another 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Add lemon juice and herbs and taste and adjust for seasoning.
If you have extra meatballs or don't use them all, you can place them in an airtight container and freeze them until ready to use.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 596mg | Potassium: 778mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2645IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 4mg