Add to Collection
Go to Collections
This Baba Ganoush requires a few ingredients and does not require a grill or gas stove. Smooth, creamy and silky, this baba ganoush is a delicious traditional Middle Eastern appetizer made with eggplant, tahini, garlic and lemon juice.
- 2 large eggplants
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp cumin ground
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- ¼ cup Tahini paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp sumac
- parsley for garnish
Prep the oven: Preheat your oven to 375°F.
Prep the eggplants: Prick the eggplants with a fork in several place. Place the eggplants on a baking sheet and cook for about 45 minutes until the skin blackens and blisters. Alternatively you can also place them on the grill. Let them cool completely. Peel off the skin and discard it. The eggplant should be very soft and the skin should be able to be peeled easily. Drain them in a strainer over a mixing bowl for a few minutes. You'll want to remove as much moisture from the eggplants as possible.
Make the dip: Place the eggplant flesh in a food processor. Add garlic cloves, lemon juice, cumin, sumac salt and pepper and Tahini paste. Pulse until a paste forms. Taste and season accordingly with salt and pepper.
Finish the dip and serve: To serve drizzle with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle with some more sumac and garnish with parsley. Serve with pita chips or vegetables.
- Tahini paste is a condiment made from toasted ground hulled sesame seeds, usually used in hummus, baba ghanoush, or halva.
- Sumac is a spice native to the Middle East that has a tangy lemony flavor commonly used in tabbouleh salad, hummus or baba ghanoush.
- Make sure you drain as much moisture as possible from the eggplants.
- Be sure to let the dip cool completely in the fridge before serving it, this will ensure the texture and flavor are right.
- The parsley or other herbs such as cilantro or basil are really not necessary but they are great in that they give the dip extra flavor boost.
- You can store this dip in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. This recipe also freezes well too, freeze for up to 3 months and allow to thaw completely before feasting.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 197mg | Potassium: 51mg | Vitamin C: 2.8mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 0.5mg