Add to Collection
Go to Collections
White Beans with Bacon and Herbs
These White Beans with Bacon and Herbs are so simple to make, rich and savory, comforting, loaded with flavor and super delicious. Perfect as a side or a meal on its own.
- 8 slices bacon chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ tbsp basil fresh, chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp rosemary fresh, chopped
- 3 tbsp parsley fresh, chopped
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2½ cups chicken broth low sodium
- 31 oz white cannellini beans (2 15.5 oz cans) drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper or to taste
Add the chopped bacon to a large skillet or Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes until bacon is crispy.
Stir in the garlic, basil, rosemary, 2 tbsp of the chopped parsley and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 30 seconds until the garlic becomes aromatic.
Add the red wine vinegar and 1/2 cup of the chicken broth to the skillet and stir to deglaze the pan. All the brown bits should come clean from the bottom of the skillet.
Add the beans and the rest of the chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. Make sure you have enough broth to barely cover the beans, add more if needed.
Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook the beans for about 15 to 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has cooked off. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
Garnish with remaining parsley and serve warm.
- You can also make this with dry beans. To do so soak them in water over night. Follow the rest of the instructions, however they will take longer to cook, should take about 1 hour over medium heat.
- This dish will store well in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. These beans will also freeze well! Just store in an airtight container or tightly wrapped for 4 – 6 months in the freezer.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 226kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 569mg | Potassium: 620mg | Fiber: 5g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 7.9mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 3.8mg