Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Sausage and Bean Soup
This Sausage and Bean Soup is hearty, cozy and delicious that's quick to make and perfect for a weeknight! It's a total meal in a bowl, not only comforting, but leaves your home smelling amazing!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz sausage I used old fashioned farmers sausage
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp thyme fresh, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups chicken broth low sodium or no sodium added
- 15 oz navy beans 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz red kidney beans 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz cannellini beans 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp parsley fresh, chopped
Cook sausage: Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or a soup pot. Add the sausage and cook until browned. If the sausage you're using is fatty, you might need to drain some of the fat.
Saute veggies: Add the onion, carrots, bell pepper, celery, salt, pepper, paprika and thyme to the pot. Stir everything together and cook for about 8 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Stir in the garlic.
Add broth and cook: Add the bay leaves and chicken broth to the pot, Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Add beans and finish soup: Add the beans to the soup and continue cooking, uncovered, for another 10 minutes longer.
Garnish and serve: Garnish the soup with fresh parsley and serve.
Sausages you can use: Italian sausage, chicken sausage, kielbasa, andouille, or any smoked sausage.
How To Make This Bean Soup In The Instant Pot:
How To Make This Bean Soup In The Slow Cooker:
- Set the instant pot on to the Saute function. Heat the oil, then add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes until browned. Add the onion, carrots, bell pepper, celery, garlic, spices and herbs and saute for another 5 minutes until the vegetables have softened and are translucent. Turn off the pot.
- Add the chicken broth, bay leaves and beans to the pot. Cover the IP with the lid and seal to lock. Press the manual pressure cook button and set the timer to 15 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, move the valve to "venting" to release the rest of the pressure. Remove the lid, garnish with parsley and serve.
Nutrition: Nutritional information is for about 1 1/2 cups of soup. Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and cook the sausage until browned, over medium-high heat. Transfer the sausage to your slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker, except the parsley. Stir everything together.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, or on LOW for 8 hours, or until the beans and vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Calories: 386kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 811mg | Potassium: 857mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3245IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 5.2mg