Add to Collection
Go to Collections
This Colcannon is my take on the traditional Irish comfort food dish! Creamy mashed potatoes fused with fresh, crunchy cabbage, seasoned with salt and bold white pepper.
- 3 lb potatoes such as russets
- 4 oz butter unsalted (1 stick)
- 1 lb green cabbage shredded, outer leaves removed
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp white pepper or to taste
Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 20 minutes until fork tender. Drain the water. Mash with 2 oz of the butter while hot.
Meanwhile, cook the cabbage. In a saucepan melt the remaining butter, add the shredded cabbage and add the 2 tbsp of water. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the cabbage has softened and is cooked.
Add the cabbage to the potatoes. Add the milk, parsley, salt and pepper and stir everything together. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Add more milk if necessary.
Top with a pat of butter and serve.
- Store leftover colcannon in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
- You can also freeze it in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 10 months.
Calories: 312kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 251mg | Potassium: 1126mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 719IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 151mg | Iron: 8mg