Add to Collection
Go to Collections
American Goulash - One of the original classic one-pot meals! Loaded with beef and macaroni noodles, cooked to tender perfection in a rich tomatoey sauce. With a simple list of ingredients and fool-proof instructions, this comforting recipe is a favorite for busy families. Even picky eaters will lick their bowls clean!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef lean or extra lean
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 28 oz diced tomatoes 1 can
- 2 cups passata or tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups beef broth low sodium
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups elbow macaroni dry, uncooked
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp parsley freshly chopped, for garnish
Cook the beef: Add the olive oil to a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, salt and pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes, breaking it up as it cooks. If needed, discard excess grease from the pan, leaving behind 1-2 tbsp.
Cook the onion: Stir in the Italian seasoning, and onion. Cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until the onion softens and becomes translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until aromatic.
Simmer the sauce: Stir in the diced tomatoes, passata, soy sauce, beef broth, and bay leaves. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer the sauce for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook the noodles: Add the macaroni and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Stir in the cheese, garnish with parsley, and serve.
- Transfer all your leftovers to an airtight container and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. This dish reheats best in the microwave, giving it a stir every 20-30 seconds.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 436kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 739mg | Potassium: 992mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 698IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 228mg | Iron: 5mg