Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Chicken Nuggets - When the craving is hankering, you must satisfy it. This recipe for a homemade version of everyone's favorite fast food snack is made with simple ingredients from your own kitchen, no more mystery for what exactly you're munching on.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ¾ cup all-purpose
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 to 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
Mix the chicken: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix the ground chicken in a bowl with the garlic powder, onion powder, 1/2 tsp of the salt, and pepper.
Dredge and form nuggets: Add the beaten eggs to a shallow bowl. Whisk the flour, cornstarch, and remaining 1/2 tsp of salt in a separate shallow bowl. Scoop about 1 to 2 tbsp of the chicken mixture and form it into a ball. Roll it through the flour mixture, then through the beaten egg, and again through the flour. I used a small ice cream scoop to get even sized nuggets. Flatten the ball and form it into your desired nugget shape. Place the nugget on your prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken mixture.
Fry: Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat to 375F. Fry the nuggets, in batches, for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. I did about 5 or 6 nuggets at once. Use a slotted spoon to scoop the nuggets out and place them on a rack to cool down, or a paper towel lined plate.
Enjoy: Serve with plum sauce or any of your favorite dipping sauces.
- Recipe yields around 16 chicken nuggets depending on size.
- Leftovers: Store your nuggets in an airtight container or large sealable bag for 1-2 days in the fridge.
- Freezing uncooked nuggets: Once you've dredged and lined your nuggets on the baking sheet, pop the sheet in the freezer for 1 hour. Then, you can transfer the nuggets to a large freezer bag or airtight container. They will last 6 months frozen. To cook, heat the oil to 350F. Fry the nuggets for 6-7 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Freezing cooked nuggets: To freeze already cooked nuggets, make sure they're fully cooled down to room temperature. Line them on a baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour, then transfer to a large freezer bag or airtight container. They'll last 2-3 months frozen. To reheat, preheat the oven to 400F. Bake for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway, until heated through.
Serving: 1nugget | Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 171mg | Potassium: 162mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg