Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Chicken A La King
This classic Chicken A La King is rich, creamy, and made from scratch with simple ingredients! Using only one pot and just 30 minutes of your time, you can have this delicious comfort food dish ready to serve.
- ½ cup butter unsalted, (1 stick)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 8 oz white mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup pimentos chopped
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley for garnish
Cook Ingredients: Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is softened. Next, add the salt, pepper, chicken bouillon and stir.
Add Ingredients: Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, stir and cook until there's no more specs of white flour. Add the chicken broth, milk, and stir. Lower the heat to medium-low and continue stirring and cooking for another 5 minutes until sauce thickens, ensuring there are no lumps.
Cook: Stir in the peas, pimentos, cooked chicken and cook for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is heated through and the sauce is bubbly.
Finish and Serve: Garnish with parsley and serve over rice, noodles or toast.
- Make ahead: Let it cool completely, then freeze individual servings of the chicken a la king in freezer-safe, resealable plastic storage bags or an airtight container. This will last in the freezer for up to 1 month! If using freezer bags, seal them with as much air out of them as possible.
- Leftovers: Store leftover chicken a la king in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezing: Wait until it has fully cooled, then transfer to an airtight container. This dish can be kept frozen for up to 1 month.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 374mg | Potassium: 507mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2102IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 3mg