Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Mexican Pork Stew
This One Pot spicy Mexican Pork Stew brimming with pork, sausage and beans is a classic hearty dish full of deep Mexican flavor and makes for a delicious and easy weeknight meal.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb pork shoulder fat trimmed and cut into small cubes
- 8 oz kielbasa sausage cut into small pieces *
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chili powder mild
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 28 oz diced tomatoes (1 can) **
- 28 oz white kidney beans or pinto beans, drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 2 cups beef broth or chicken broth, low sodium
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- lime wedges for serving
In a large Dutch oven heavy pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the pork and sausage and brown to render some of the fat from the meat, for about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain the fat, if preferred.
Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper to the pot. Stir in the spices then add the diced tomatoes, beans and broth. Stir then cover and cook on medium-low for about 25 minutes.
Garnish with green onions and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
- * For true Mexican flavor, choose an Andouille sausage or chorizo.
- ** Fire roasted tomatoes would be a great alternative here.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight glass or plastic container for 3 to 4 days.
- Freeze in airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags for 4 to 6 months.
- Wear disposable gloves when cutting the jalapeno peppers and avoid touching your face.
- To make this in a crockpot, follow step 1 to brown the meat then transfer the meat and the rest of the ingredients (with the exception of the green onions, cilantro and lime) to the crockpot and stir. Cook covered on low for about 6 to 8 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 941mg | Potassium: 917mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 980IU | Vitamin C: 14.8mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 3.6mg