Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Old Fashioned Green Beans
These Old Fashioned Green Beans only require a handful of ingredients, easy to make and requires very little time. Simple ingredients but lots flavor!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 10 bacon strips chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp soy sauce low sodium
- 2 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 lb fresh green beans
- 1/8 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
Add the chopped bacon to a large skillet and cook over medium heat until the bacon is nice and crisp and most of the fat has rendered, should take about 5 minutes.
Add the soy sauce, brown sugar and water to the skillet and stir. Bring to a boil.
Add the green beans and toss them around a bit, so they get covered in the sauce. Reduce the heat to a medium-low, cover the skillet with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes. The green beans should be crisp-tender when done.
Season with salt and pepper if needed, then serve.
- This recipe is very versatile and can be used on different types of vegetables. Try it on carrots, broccolini, asparagus, peas, or whatever your favourite vegetables are!
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 716mg | Potassium: 482mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 23.9% | Vitamin C: 25.2% | Calcium: 7.1% | Iron: 11.9%