Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Kale and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Kale and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette - Chunks of tender chicken, sweet raisins, fresh parmesan cheese and sunflower seeds amidst a bed of bright, fresh kale and quinoa. Paired with a stunning homemade lemon vinaigrette, this simple salad is the perfect healthy lunch.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1/2 cup quinoa dry
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb chicken breasts cooked, skinless and boneless, chopped small
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 5 cups kale chopped very small
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper ground
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp honey
Start by combining 1 cup of water with the dry quinoa in a saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium high heat. Cover the saucepan and reduce the heat to low, let it simmer for about 15 minutes until the quinoa is tender. If there's any water left, make sure you drain the quinoa first.
While the quinoa is cooking, you can prepare the chicken. Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add the chicken pieces, season with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for about 8 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink but it's just starting to brown a bit. Remove chicken from skillet and let cool.
In a large bowl toss together the kale, cooked chicken, quinoa, sunflower seeds and raisins.
Whisk together all the ingredients for the lemon vinaigrette in a small bowl. Adjust salt and pepper as necessary.
Pour the vinaigrette over the kale salad and toss really well. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.
- The beauty of this kale and quinoa salad is that it will absorb the flavor of the lemon vinaigrette over time, tasting even better the next day! Covered and stored in the fridge, it will keep for 3-5 days.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 514kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 852mg | Potassium: 1087mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 8450IU | Vitamin C: 108.5mg | Calcium: 233mg | Iron: 3.5mg