Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup made from scratch and in a fraction of the time. Delicious and hearty, loaded with noodles and chicken, this soup will warm the cockles of your heart.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp thyme dry, 1 tbsp if using fresh
- 1 tbsp parsley fresh, chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano fresh, chopped, 1 tsp if using dry
- 4 cups chicken broth no sodium added
- 2 lbs chicken with skin and bones, use at least 1 chicken breast
- 4 cups water
- 5 oz egg noodles uncooked, (about 2 cups)
Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. (See your manufacturer's guide for detailed instructions on how to use your instant pot.)
Add the butter and cook until the butter has melted. Add the onion, carrots and celery and saute for 3 minutes until the onion softens and becomes translucent.
Season with salt and pepper, add the thyme, parsley, oregano and stir. Pour in the chicken broth. Add the chicken pieces and add another 4 cups of water.
Close the lid (follow the manufacturer's guide for instructions on how to close the instant pot lid). Set the Instant Pot to the Soup setting and set the timer to 7 minutes.
Once the Instant Pot cycle is complete, wait until the natural release cycle is complete, should take about 10 minutes. Follow the manufacturer's guide for quick release, if in a rush. Carefully unlock and remove the lid from the instant pot.
Remove the chicken pieces from the soup and shred with two forks.
Add the noodles to the soup and set the Instant Pot to the saute setting again. Cook for another 6 minutes uncovered, or until the noodles are cooked.
Turn off the Instant Pot, by pressing the cancel button. Add the shredded chicken back to the Instant Pot, taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Garnish with additional parsley if preferred.
- What is an Instant Pot: An IP is a multi-cooker, it's like seven different appliances all in one! It does the job of a slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, steamer, yogurt maker, etc.
- I don't have an Instant Pot, can I still make this soup: Absolutely, you would follow the exact steps except it would take a bit longer to cook the chicken in the broth. Or you can see my Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup or Crockpot Chicken Noodle soup recipe for the crockpot version.
- Can I use boneless skinless chicken breast: Yes, of course but cooking the chicken with the skin and bones will give you a deeper more delicious broth.
- Can I use chicken drumsticks or thighs: Yes, you can. Any part of the chicken can be used, as long as you have enough chicken meat to add to the soup after you shred it.
- Can I use frozen chicken: Yes, you can. The time can vary depending on how big your chicken pieces are but I would start with 10 to 12 minutes and go from there.
- Why use chicken broth, can I just use water instead: Yes, you can absolutely replace the chicken broth with an additional 4 cups of water.
- Can I freeze this soup: If you plan to freeze the soup, hold off on adding the noodles. Wait to add the noodles when you take the soup from the freezer and reheat it. The noodles won't hold up very well when defrosted and reheated.
- Nutrition: Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 435mg | Potassium: 469mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2900IU | Vitamin C: 5.2mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2mg