Crockpot Pork Carnitas
These Crockpot Pork Carnitas are a delicious combination of juicy and tender meat that will simply melt in your mouth. These carnitas are incredibly simple to make, requires only 10 minutes prep time and extremely versatile, perfect for tacos or burritos!
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Cook Time8 hours hrs
Total Time8 hours hrs 10 minutes mins
Course: Dinner, Main Course
Keyword: crockpot pork carnitas, crockpot recipes, pork carnitas
Cut the pork: Cut the pork shoulder into large 2 inch chunks. Trim some of the fat if needed.
Combine ingredients and cook: In your crockpot add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Add the pork to the crockpot and stir. There should be enough liquid to cover the pork. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
Shred the pork: Remove the pork from the slow cooker using a slotted spoon. Take 2 forks and start shredding the meat into smaller pieces. Pour some of the leftover liquid over the meat or strain the liquid and use it to make a gravy.
Serve: Serve on tacos, burritos, tamales, sandwiches, etc.
- To make a gravy from the leftover juices, strain the liquid through a sieve. Add the liquid to a saucepan and sprinkle 2 to 3 tbsp of all-purpose flour over it. Whisk it vigorously until smooth and comes to a boil, over medium heat.
- If you wanted crispy pork carnitas, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread the pulled pork over the prepared baking sheet and place it under the broiler for about 3 to 5 minutes or until crispy.
- You can also crisp them in a skillet. Simply heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet and spread some pork carnitas. You can also add some of the juices, to keep the pork from drying out. If adding liquid, let it evaporate and then the bottom of the carnitas wills tart to crips up. Toss gently to toss on both sides and enjoy!
- Store pork carnitas leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
- Nutritional information is only for the pork caritas, not for the burritos. Calories for burritos can vary greatly based on ingredients used.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 52g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 434mg | Potassium: 1011mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 370IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 3mg