Add to Collection
Go to Collections
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
King Ranch Chicken Casserole – Looking for a saucy, chicken-y, cheesy, and equally easy dinner? You’re at the right stop! This recipe will clear out some cans from your pantry in a matter of moments. Time to stir, layer, bake, and enjoy!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 10.75 oz condensed cream of mushroom soup 1 can
- 10.75 oz condensed cream of chicken soup 1 can
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes 1 can
- ⅔ cup chicken broth low sodium
- 4 oz green chilies 1 can
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups chicken cooked, shredded
- 3 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 10 medium tortillas corn or flour, 4 of them cut into halves
- 1 tbsp chives chopped, for garnish
Prep the oven: Preheat the oven to 375F.
Cook onion and pepper: Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, then cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion softens and becomes translucent.
Make the sauce: Add the onion and pepper mixture to a large mixing bowl along with both the condensed soups, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, green chilies, chili powder, and garlic powder. Stir until well combined.
Start to assemble casserole: Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce over the bottom of a 9x13-inch casserole dish. Top with half of the chicken, then pour 2 cups of the sauce over the chicken, sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese, and spread half of the tortillas.
Finish assembling casserole: Top with the remaining chicken, 2 more cups of sauce, 1 cup of cheese, and the remaining tortillas. Finish layering the casserole with the remaining sauce and then cheese.
Bake and garnish: Transfer the baking dish to the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbly and the cheese has browned slightly. Garnish with green onion and serve.
- If there is quite a bit leftover, you can keep the leftovers in the casserole dish and cover it well with plastic wrap or foil. Otherwise, transfer leftovers to an airtight container and store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- To reheat, use the microwave. You can also use preheat the oven to 350F, cover the casserole dish with foil, and bake for 10-15 minutes until heated through.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 430kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 1217mg | Potassium: 393mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1361IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 377mg | Iron: 3mg