Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Roast Turkey Breast with Saucy Cranberry Sauce
This Roast Turkey Breast with Saucy Cranberry Sauce is your answer to stress free holiday and a great alternative to cooking a whole turkey.
- 3 cups cranberries fresh or frozen
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup apple jelly
- 1/2 tsp five spice
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 lb turkey breast with skin
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 4 tbsp butter unsalted
- 2 medium onions chopped
Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
* In a food processor add 2 cups of the cranberries, orange juice, apple jelly, five spice and cornstarch. Pulse a few times until smooth. Set aside.
Season the turkey breast with the rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper generously.
In a large skillet melt 2 tbsp of the butter. Add the turkey breast and brown on both sides until golden. Place the turkey in a roasting pan that's big enough for the breast. I used a 5 qt Dutch Oven.
In the same skillet melt the remaining 2 tbsp of the butter. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes until it starts to brown and becomes soft and translucent. Season the onion with salt and pepper.
Add the cranberry mixture to the skillet and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 1 cup of cranberries.
Pour the cranberry sauce around the turkey breast, you can pour over the turkey breast too, but I like the turkey breasts to be nice and golden when done.
Place the roasting pan in the oven and bake for about 1 1/2 hours or until the internal temperature of the turkey breast is at 165 F degrees.
Remove the roasting pan from the oven, cover with aluminum foil and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing the turkey.
- Crockpot Alternative: Follow all the steps up to and including step 6, but instead of placing the turkey in a roasting pan, place it in a slow cooker and pour the sauce around it. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Check the internal temperature and make sure it's at 165 F degrees, otherwise cook it longer.
- A 9 x 13 roasting pan will also work for this recipe.
- "Five Spice" is a blend of five powdered spices which would typically include cloves, cinnamon, star anise, peppercorns and fennel seed. You can find this already prepared at your local grocery store.
- *If you do not have a food processor, just stir everything together in a sauce pan and cook it down for about 5 minutes until the cranberries soften a bit.
Calories: 604kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 66g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 184mg | Sodium: 839mg | Potassium: 954mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 410IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 2mg