Add to Collection
Go to Collections
This Shakshuka is a spicy and savory breakfast also known as Eggs in Cheesy Purgatory. Baked eggs in a delicious spicy tomato sauce and loaded with cheese, perfect start to any day!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups marinara sauce store-bought
- 4 leaves basil fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 6 eggs
- 4 oz Mozzarella cheese fresh, cut into slices
Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
In a large ovenproof skillet heat the olive oil then add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion becomes soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute just until the garlic becomes aromatic.
Add the marinara sauce, chopped basil, red chili flakes and season with salt and pepper. For more heat add more red chili flakes. Bring the sauce to a boil the remove the skillet from the heat.
Gently crack the eggs in the skillet over the tomatoes and top the fresh Mozzarella cheese around the eggs.
Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the eggs are just set. Garnish with additional basil and serve warm.
- I cooked my eggs so that the yolk was still runny, but you can cook them however you prefer.
- You can use your own homemade marinara sauce.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 167kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 178mg | Sodium: 808mg | Potassium: 368mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 835IU | Vitamin C: 6.9mg | Calcium: 135mg | Iron: 1.7mg