Last updated on March 27th, 2019 at 01:58 pm
This Shakshuka is a spicy and savory breakfast also known as Eggs in Cheesy Purgatory. Baked eggs in a delicious spicy tomato sauce and loaded with cheese, perfect start to any day!
Welcome to purgatory, my friends! Eggs in cheesy purgatory that is. What were you thinking? This is not that kind of blog.
What Is Shakshuka?
Shakshuka also known as eggs in purgatory is basically a dish of eggs poached in a tomato sauce, onions and spices. It’s a very popular Middle Eastern dish. I also love to add lots of fresh mozzarella with cheese, because tomato sauce without cheese? I think not!
This Shakshuka is perfect for weekends for breakfast or brunch. I love to serve this right from the skillet with some crusty bread. It’s delicious and truly decadent.
How to Make Shakshuka
Obviously there are many versions of this recipe, but this is my simple version. As usual I love simplifying recipes, so to do this I used store bought marinara sauce. I also used about a tsp of red chili flakes which for me, gives this dish just the right amount of heat, but feel free to adjust that based on your preference.
And of course, let’s not forget about the cheesy part. I used fresh mozzarella cheese, I didn’t shred it or anything, I just cut it in slices and then added it around the eggs. As this bakes the cheese melts, turning this dish into cheesy goodness. To me this is the perfect start to any day.
Bake this at 375 F degrees for about 8 to 10 minutes just until the eggs set.
How to Serve Shakshuka
As I mentioned I love to serve this right out of the skillet with a great French baguette or other crusty bread. However this is also great served with a salad and turn it into dinner.
The great thing about Shakshuka is that it’s also quite versatile. Change up the vegetables or add different ingredients. Use Feta cheese instead or even blue cheese. This is a great simple dish perfect for breakfast, brunch or dinner!
Looking for Other Brunch Recipes? Try These:
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a large ovenproof skillet heat the olive oil then add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion becomes soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute just until the garlic becomes aromatic.
- Add the marinara sauce, chopped basil, red chili flakes and season with salt and pepper. For more heat add more red chili flakes. Bring the sauce to a boil the remove the skillet from the heat.
- Gently crack the eggs in the skillet over the tomatoes and top the fresh Mozzarella cheese around the eggs.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the eggs are just set. Garnish with additional basil and serve warm.
- I cooked my eggs so that the yolk was still runny, but you can cook them however you prefer.
- You can use your own homemade marinara sauce.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.