Last updated on June 29th, 2018 at 06:01 pm
This Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is made all in ONE POT and ready in only 30 minutes. It’s cheesy, it’s comforting, loaded with broccoli and super simple to make!
I wanted to share with you another one of these one pot recipes I made because this one is a favorite of mine. It has rice, chicken and cheese, and some broccoli, so you know it’s going to be good. This chicken and rice dish is so freaking delicious that if I were wearing a skirt right now, it would make my skirt fly up. Thankfully I’m not, I’m a pants only kinda gal, skirts or dresses are for weddings or special occasions only. So glad we had this chat.
Anyway, chicken and rice! Who doesn’t love a good chicken and rice casserole sorta dish. But the beauty here is that it’s all made in one skillet, it’s quick and before you know it dinner is ready to be served.
While I sit here writing this to you and looking at these pictures, Star Trek playing in the background and hubs watching it and laughing his you know what off, I remember the bacon I fried this morning at the same time managing to burn a couple of my fingers from splattering oil, I’m thinking that some bacon would have been yummy here for a bit more crunch and saltiness. But that’s just cause I have bacon on my mind. Bacon is on my mind a lot.
My favorite part about this casserole is the cheese and I like to place the skillet under the broiler just for a minute or so until the cheese melts and starts to bubble. Simple, quick and pure comfort food. Can’t beat that.
As a side note, we just bought these skillets shown in the picture below, they’re from Starfrit called The Rock and I have to say they are the best skillets I’ve ever tried. Nothing, absolutely nothing sticks to them and no oil is necessary. Not to mention they’re super easy to clean and they work on my induction stovetop. WIN! WIN!
Looking for more rice casseroles? Try these:
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
This Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is made all in ONE POT and ready in only 30 minutes. It's cheesy, it's comforting, loaded with broccoli and super simple to make!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 chicken breasts cut into small cubes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup rice uncooked
- 10 oz cream of chicken soup (1 can)
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add chopped onion and cubed chicken. Cook on medium heat for a few minutes until the chicken starts to brown a bit. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until garlic gets aromatic.
- Add the rice, cream of chicken soup and chicken broth. Start with 2 cups of chicken broth and if more is needed add more until rice is fully cooked. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook over medium heat until the rice is fully cooked, stirring occasionally, should take about 15 minutes or so. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Add the broccoli florets and half the cheese then continue cooking for 2 more minutes, until broccoli softens a bit. Sprinkle over the top with remaining cheese and place the skillet under the broiler for a couple more minutes, just until it melts and starts to brown a bit.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
I don't have condensed cream of chicken soup, what can I use: You can make your own cream of chicken soup using this recipe:
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then add the flour and mix until it turns into a paste. Whisk in the milk and chicken broth until the flour paste is dissolved. Season with onion powder, salt and pepper. Continue whisking until the soup is smooth and creamy.
What kind of rice should I use: I used a long grain rice (Basmati) and I recommend a long grain rice over a short grain rice because the shorter grain rice gives you a creamier rice. If using brown rice, it will take longer to cook and may require more liquid. If you wanted to speed this up you could even use quick cooking rice.
How do I store leftovers: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!