Last updated on June 6th, 2018 at 11:48 am
This Deconstructed Stuffed Pepper Casserole offers you all the great flavors of stuffed peppers, but it can be ready in a fraction of the usual amount of time. This casserole really does taste like real stuffed peppers but ready in 30 minutes, perfect for any busy weeknight!
Hi there! Today I’m sharing with you another favorite recipe from my cookbook; deconstructed stuffed pepper casserole. I know it’s a mouthful, literally and figuratively. I grew up eating lots of stuffed peppers. My mom would always make them for the holidays mostly or special occasions because of all the time they required to prepare and cook. They really used to be one of my favorite meals growing up.
As a kid though, I used to hate the pepper and would always eat the meat and the sauce first and leave the pepper; it used to drive my mom crazy. As I grew up I learned to love the pepper and would eat the whole thing.
My version here is actually something that I would have loved as a child, because while there is bell pepper in here, you don’t really taste it and it just blends in nicely with the rest of the ingredients. Why is it that as kids we hated our veggies, but love them as we grow old?
This casserole really does taste like just like stuffed peppers but it’s all done in one pot and in 30 minutes, which is why this recipe made it to my book which you can find information on how to order it below.
The picture above is the picture that is in the book for this recipe. I did change the recipe slightly in that I added shredded cheddar cheese on top, because I wanted a cheesy version, but this is totally optional. In the book I also used instant rice, but here I used just regular long grain rice, again totally up to you, regardless of which rice you use, you should still be able to finish this in 30 minutes.
For more quick and easy delicious recipes, you can order my “30-Minute One-Pot Meals” book at:
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Deconstructed Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/2 cup rice uncooked
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes (1 can including juice)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- sour cream for serving optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground pork and ground beef; brown and crumble the meat. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet. Stir in the smoked paprika, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, dill and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the rice to the skillet, then stir in the chicken broth and the diced tomatoes, including the juice. With the heat on medium, continue to cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the rice cooks through and absorbs all the liquid.
- Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and garnish with parsley. Within a couple minutes the cheese should melt on top. Serve immediately with a dollop of sour cream.
Watch How To Make It
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!