Last updated on May 31st, 2018 at 10:39 am
These Cheesy Chicken Meatball Rolls are succulent and cheesy, beyond delicious and the perfect appetizer or snack. We’re talking perfectly seasoned, juicy chicken meatballs, stuffed inside bread rolls that are slathered with a yummy garlic butter sauce, topped with marinara sauce and loaded with mozzarella cheese!
Welcome to my Monday Meatball Mania! It’s that time of the month again. On the last Monday of every month, my friend Nagi from RecipeTin Eats and I share a meatball recipe. We started this at the beginning of the year, we have no rules, whatever crazy and tasty meatballs we come up with, we will share it with you.
Why meatballs? Because meatballs are great, they’re versatile, and they’re great in and on everything. You can bake them, you can fry them, you can slow cook them, you can stuff them with cheese and make them all gooey and delicious, they’re great in sandwiches, spaghetti and meatballs, meatball casseroles, meatballs in soups, meatballs on pizza, I’d even put them on a salad, the sky is the limit.
The idea for these rolls is similar to my eggs and bacon bowls. The truth is these dinner rolls are perfect vessels for meatballs, like these chicken meatball rolls, which is similar to a meatball sub.
Today’s recipe is a winner in my book. I would consider this a classic Italian chicken meatball, kind of like a meatball Parmesan but better because the meatballs are stuffed inside dinner rolls that have been slathered with a yummy garlic and parsley butter sauce then toasted until nice and crisp, topped with marinara sauce then loaded, and I mean loaded with good Mozzarella cheese, then baked just until the cheese melts and it gets all gooey and delicious.
I made these with ground chicken, I for one love a good chicken meatball, but I know some people are afraid they can come out too dry. However, these meatballs are not dry at all, they’re nice and juicy and I fried them until golden brown, so they’re crispy on the outside. This recipe will also make quite a lot, 24 of these rolls to be exact, so there is plenty to feed a crowd, a huge hungry crowd, but you can also store any leftovers in an airtight container, then simply pop them in the microwave for a few seconds when you’re ready to eat them, just until the meatballs warm through and the cheese melts again.
Still good, trust me!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Cheesy Chicken Meatball Rolls
For Garlic Butter
- 8 tbsp butter unsalted and melted
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper ground
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, cut holes in the top of each dinner roll, big enough to stuff a meatball in it.
- In a small bowl whisk together the garlic butter ingredients. Using a pastry brush generously brush some of the garlic butter inside the rolls. Place the rolls on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes or until they just start to brown and crisp up.
- In the meantime, prepare the meatballs. In a large bowl combine all the meatball ingredients together (minus the olive oil) and shape the meat mixture into meatballs, about the size of golf balls. You should get around 24 meatballs.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp of the olive oil and fry the meatballs until golden brown all around, should take around 7 minutes. You will need to do this in 2 batches, 12 meatballs at a time, using the remaining olive oil for the second batch.
- Spoon about 1 tsp of marinara sauce into each dinner roll, then place a meatball inside each roll. Spoon another tsp or so of marinara sauce over each meatball then sprinkle with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese over each dozen rolls.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the cheese melts and is bubbly then garnish rolls with parsley, and red pepper flakes.
- Serve warm.
Watch How To Make It
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!