Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Tres Leches Cake
This classic Tres Leches Cake from scratch will blow your mind! Soft, delicious, melt-in-your-mouth sweet sponge cake, soaked in 3 milks and topped with whipped cream!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 6 large eggs separated
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp sugar (for egg whites)
For Milk Sauce
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk (1 can)
- 12 oz evaporated milk (1 can)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2-3 tbsp rum
Prepare oven: Preheat your oven to 375 F degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
Make batter: Separate the eggs, placing the egg whites in a bowl for later. In another bowl add the egg yolks, the 2/3 cup of sugar, vanilla extract and beat with a mixer on high speed until the mixture is thick and pale. Should take about 2 minutes.
Into another bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add about half the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and whisk until well combined. Whisk in the milk, then add the remaining flour mixture and whisk well. The cake batter will be quite thick.
Beat the egg whites with a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add the 3 tbsp sugar and continue beating for another minute until sugar is well incorporated. Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake for 10 minutes.
Prepare the milk: While the cake is cooling, prepare the milk sauce by whisking all the milk sauce ingredients into a bowl.
Pour milk over cake: Pierce the entire surface of the cake with a fork. Slowly pour the milk mixture over the entire cake, evenly. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to overnight.
Assemble: Top the cake with whipped cream, cocoa powder and berries, if preferred.
- If you don't want to use rum, then just leave it out of the recipe. An extra teaspoon of vanilla can be used as a substitute if you wish.
- Beating the egg whites separately is important to create the air pockets needed to absorb the milk mixture.
- Total time does not include time to chill the cake. It all depends on how long you let it chill.
- As you can see in the video I used white vanilla extract, but regular vanilla extract works just as well.
- Refrigerate leftover cake for up to 5 to 7 days.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 433kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 155mg | Sodium: 174mg | Potassium: 453mg | Sugar: 39g | Vitamin A: 600IU | Vitamin C: 1.4mg | Calcium: 291mg | Iron: 1.7mg