Last updated on June 25th, 2018 at 08:50 pm
This classic Tres Leches Cake from scratch will blow your mind! Soft, delicious, melt-in-your-mouth sweet sponge cake, soaked in 3 milks and topped with whipped cream!
I’m really excited to share this recipe with you today, because this cake is really one of my favorites. Tres Leches Cake literally means three milks cake, also known as pastel de tres leches or torta de tres leches. It’s basically a sponge cake soaked in 3 different kinds of milk. It may sound pretty simple, but it’s to die for. My version here is a butter free cake, a very light sponge cake with lots of air bubbles soaked in the milk sauce overnight, then topped with whipped cream, some cocoa powder and some berries.
I first tried a Tres Leches Cake about 15 years ago at a pot luck at work when a co-worker (who is Cuban) brought it for us to try. All I can say is that it was love at first bite. I usually love sponge cakes that are soaked in some sort of liquid, but this cake tops them all. This really is one of my all time favorite cakes and hubs even declared this better than Sex in a Pan. That’s saying a lot for him, considering he’s lactose intolerant and made an exception for this cake.
I really recommend separating the eggs and beating the egg whites first before adding them to the batter, that’s the secret to getting this light airy cake. The 3 milks used in the sauce are sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and regular milk. But that’s not all, to make this cake a bit boozy, I added about 3 tbsp of rum in my milk sauce. Trust me, you will want to do this if you’re not serving this cake to children.
In my book, this cake ranks as the most moist cake in the world. I really hope you give this cake a try, it’s perfect for a huge crowd, so if you’re having a party for Easter or Cinco de Mayo you will definitely want to give this cake a try!
This cake is also so easy to customize and add fun flavorful twists, like what I did with my Tiramisu Tres Leches Cake!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Tres Leches Cake
For Milk Sauce
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk (1 can)
- 12 oz evaporated milk (1 can)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2-3 tbsp rum
- Preheat your oven to 375 F degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs, placing the egg whites in a bowl for later. In another bowl add the egg yolks, the 2/3 cup of sugar, vanilla extract and beat with a mixer on high speed until the mixture is thick and pale. Should take about 2 minutes.
- Into another bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add about half the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and whisk until well combined. Whisk in the milk, then add the remaining flour mixture and whisk well. The cake batter will be quite thick.
- Beat the egg whites with a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add the 3 tbsp sugar and continue beating for another minute until sugar is well incorporated. Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake for 10 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the milk sauce by whisking all the milk sauce ingredients into a bowl.
- Pierce the entire of the the cake with a fork. Slowly pour the milk mixture over the entire cake, evenly. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to overnight.
- Top the cake with whipped cream, cocoa powder and berries, if preferred.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!