Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Get yourself ready for the holidays with this incredible Harvest Rice full of fall flavors. It's really easy to make, great for any night of the week yet perfect for your holiday spread.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 8 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 large onion chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms chopped
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 3/4 cups brown and wild rice mix
- 5 cups chicken broth low sodium or no sodium
- 3/4 cup craisins chopped
- 1 cup peas frozen
- 1 cup almonds slivered and toasted
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
Melt butter in a large pan. Add the onion and saute for about 2 minutes until the onion softens and becomes translucent. Add the mushrooms, stir and cook until the mushrooms cook down and are soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Stir in the salt, pepper and fresh thyme. Stir in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
Pour in the wine, let it come to a boil, and add in the rice. Stir until all the liquid is absorbed.
Pour in the chicken broth, stir, and bring to a boil. Cover the rice, lower the heat to medium-low, and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until rice is almost cooked.
Add the craisins, peas, half of the almonds and continue to cook (covered) for another 5 or 10 minutes. At this time you can also taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as necessary.
Garnish with remaining almonds and parsley.
- Wild rice can take quite a long time to cook, but it should absorb all the liquid when it's cooked. If you feel that the rice isn't cooked after the 30 minutes, add more chicken broth if needed and cook for a few more minutes.
- Be sure to store this dish as soon as it’s cooled as rice is a breeding ground for bacteria. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. If freezing store this dish in a freezer bag with the air pressed out. Thaw overnight in the fridge and fluff the rice before reheating. This dish will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 415kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 936mg | Potassium: 574mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 520IU | Vitamin C: 20.5mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 2.3mg