- I prefer to to use yellow onions because of their bright flavor and sweetness. Shallots are also great because they provide a really good balance of sweetness, with bright and deep flavors.
Beef Broth or Stock
- If you're not making your own stock, use a good quality beef broth, preferably with no salt added. This way you can control the salt in the soup yourself.
- Use a red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or a Malbec.
- If you don't have cognac, use a brandy, or simply skip it.
- French Onion Soup demands Gruyere cheese because it's rich, smooth and melts with ease!
- Transfer French Onion Soup to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Freeze it in covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags for up to 3 months.