Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Cheesy Chicken Casserole
This easy Cheesy Chicken Casserole is made with pasta, chunks of tender chicken and a rich tomato sauce all smothered in mozzarella cheese, then baked to bubbling perfection. A comforting dinner that is undeniably delicious and very easy to prepare!
- 1 lb pasta any kind of pasta you have in your pantry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts boneless, skinless, chopped in small 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium or no sodium added
- 28 oz diced tomatoes 1 can
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese shredded
Cook The Pasta: Cook the pasta according to package instructions in a pot of boiling salted water.
Prep the oven: Preheat oven to 375°F.
Cook the Chicken: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Add Aromatics: Add the butter to skillet and melt. Stir in onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until the onion soften and become translucent. Add garlic and saute for another 30 seconds until aromatic.
Finish the Sauce: Season with more salt and pepper if needed, then add the oregano, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil, scraping all the brown bits. Add crushed tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
Assemble the Casserole: Transfer the cooked pasta to a 9x13-inch casserole dish, pour chicken tomato sauce over the pasta and a cup of the mozzarella cheese, then toss well. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese over the top of the casserole.
Bake: Transfer the casserole dish the the oven and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, just until the cheese melts and gets bubbly.
- To make a breadcrumb topping melt 1 tbsp of butter with ¼ cup of breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the top before baking.
- You can add whatever you see fit to this dish! Toss in veggies, spices or any ingredients you want to use up in your fridge.
- Store leftover chicken casserole in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for 3-5 days, just make sure it’s properly cooled before storing!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 597kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 532mg | Potassium: 806mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 615IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 262mg | Iron: 3mg