Add to Collection
Go to Collections
This Enchilada Sauce is super easy, quick and no-fuss. This sauce is made from scratch and will be ready in under 20 minutes! Ditch the canned enchilada sauce and make your own!
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 8 oz crushed tomatoes or tomato passata
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
Add the vegetable oil to a Dutch oven and heat it over medium-high heat. Add the flour and chili powder and whisk it for about 1 minute.
Add the crushed tomatoes, water and the rest of the spices. Stir well and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes until thickened.
Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as needed.
- This will yield about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of sauce.
- Gluten-Free: For a gluten free version, try gluten-free flour or rice flour. Using cornstarch will make the sauce too thick. Another option is to use masa.
- Store in jars or an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Nutrition: Nutritional information assumes 1/4 cup per serving. Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Serving: 0.25cup | Calories: 92kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 236mg | Potassium: 159mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 950IU | Vitamin C: 2.8mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1.2mg