Last updated on April 23rd, 2019 at 03:14 pm
Super easy, quick and no-fuss Enchilada Sauce made from scratch and in under 20 minutes! Ditch the canned enchilada sauce and make your own. It’s much better, tastier and best of all, you know what goes in it.
I am finally posting this recipe for my enchilada sauce, after so many years of you guys asking for it. For that, I apologize, but it’s finally here.
Why make your own enchilada sauce? Because it’s better for you, you know what goes in it, no crap or preservatives. So in that sense it’s better for you. I’m also betting that the ingredients required in this recipe, you already have in your pantry and spice cabinet. So why not make your own?
If you’ve been following my blog, you know I love my Mexican food and I have a lot of Mexican recipes here. A lot of them call for enchilada sauce, and while I don’t always make my own, there have been many times when I just didn’t have any in my pantry and had to make my own sauce. Every time I make my own the recipes are better and tastier, because nothing beats homemade.
But why wouldn’t you make it when it’s done in 15 minutes and most of that time you just wait for it to simmer and thicken. There really is nothing to it. I do recommend using a good chili powder though, I think it can make a huge difference in your sauce.
Wondering what to make with your own homemade enchilada sauce? Try these recipe:
- Enchilada Meatball Bake
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole
- Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole (4 ingredients only)
- Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
- Add the vegetable oil to a Dutch oven and heat it over medium-high heat. Add the flour and chili powder and whisk it for about 1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, water and the rest of the spices. Stir well and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes until thickened.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as needed.