Last updated on June 6th, 2018 at 11:16 am
This Enchilada Meatball Bake encompasses everything you know and love about enchiladas, the taste, the flavors, the cheese, but made with meatballs. These enchilada meatballs are made with pork and beef, baked to perfection, crisp on the outside, baked in an enchilada sauce and smothered with cheese.
Time flies when you’re having fun! Welcome to Monday Meatball Mania! I’m back with this incredible Enchilada Meatball Bake. In case you’re new to Jo Cooks, I started this Meatball-a-thon in January with my friend Nagi from RecipeTin Eats. The rules are simple, one meatball recipe every last Monday of every month, and that’s it as far as rules go. Whatever crazy and tasty meatball concoctions we come up with, we’ll share with you. Anything goes.
Why meatballs? Because meatballs are great, they’re versatile, and they’re great in and on everything. You can bake them, you can fry them, you can slow cook them, you can stuff them with cheese and make them all gooey and delicious, they’re great in sandwiches, spaghetti and meatballs, meatball casseroles, meatballs in soups, meatballs on pizza, I’d even put them on a salad, the sky is the limit.
If you know me even a little bit, you will know that I love my meatballs and that I’ve made many in my day. You’ll find quite a few meatball recipes on my blog like Moroccan Meatballs and Stout Meatballs with BBQ Sauce! Which is why I love this Monday Meatball Mania game so much.
Today’s meatball recipe is perfect for our triple M game. Why? Because these meatballs are not your everyday run of the mill meatballs. As you bite into one of these juicy meatballs, it’s like you took a bite out of an enchilada. They’re incredible, they’re cheesy and they’re drenched in enchilada sauce.
But what I love about these meatballs is the multiple ways you can serve them. You can literally make enchiladas with them, instead of using chicken or beef. You can stuff them in tortillas and have them as tacos. Use them as a dip with some crispy nachos, serve them over rice, or if you’re like me and my friend, we simply ate them just like that out of the pan and used some bread to soak up that cheesy enchilada sauce. All I can say, is that we were 2 happy girls when we were done.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Enchilada Meatball Bake
- green onions
- sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 400 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl add all the meatball ingredients and mix well using your clean hands. Shape the meat mixture into balls around the size of a golf ball. You should get around 30 meatballs.
- Place the meatballs onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- In a large skillet or a casserole dish, pour the enchilada sauce over the entire bottom. Sprinkle with about half of the cheese. Place the meatballs over the sauce then top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the casserole for another 20 minutes until the cheese melts and starts to brown on top.
- Sprinkle with the optional toppings, if preferred.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!