This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Creamy Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup is a fiesta of flavors full of chunks of chicken, black beans, corn and diced tomatoes, for a complete satisfying and comforting bowl of soup.
I am so happy to share with you this recipe for one of my favorite soups ever. It’s my creamy and extremely cheesy chicken enchilada soup.
Because you all know how much I love Mexican food, especially enchiladas, so why not a soup version, because as we all know it’s the dead of winter here and nothing beats a cup of cheesy soup.
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Soup
This recipe is super easy and quick! You will need red enchilada sauce for this soup. Many of you have asked me what brand I use, and to be honest I just use whatever brand I find at my grocery store, or I make my own.
To make this soup creamy and cheesy I used an 8 oz block of cream cheese. I used light Philadelphia but use whatever brand you like. The reason this soup is nice and quick is because I used already cooked chicken breast. I usually buy a whole roasted chicken then add all the breast from it to the soup. The rest goes to the little beggar in the house, my dog.
I like my chicken enchilada soup nice and thick, so I only added a cup of chicken broth. If you find it’s a bit too thick for your taste, just add a bit more chicken broth, until you get the desired consistency.
How to Serve
Serve this with some chopped green onions and shredded mozzarella cheese, and you’ve got yourself one delicious comforting soup. I served this with tortilla chips, but toasted bread would be just fine.
For an even greater treat, serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.
This is a great soup. I did add a can of sieved green chili’s and a jalapeño jack cheese for the top with crunched up corn chips! Absolutely a hit, very easy and will make again!
Slow Cooker Option
Just add all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours. You can even use raw chicken.
More great recipes to try:
- Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole
- White Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Enchilada Quesadillas
- Quick and Easy Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Cowboy Pasta Salad
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 10 ounce enchilada sauce ((1 can))
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 14 ounce diced tomatoes ((1 can))
- 1 cup black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (drained)
- 2 cups chicken breasts (cooked, from 1 roast chicken, chopped)
- 1 cup chicken broth (low sodium)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot, over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the enchilada sauce and cream cheese. Break down the cream cheese with a wooden spoon and cook until the cheese has completely melted.
- Add the diced tomatoes, black beans, frozen corn and stir.
- Add the chopped chicken breast and chicken broth. Stir and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until the soup is really hot. You don’t really want to boil this soup for too long because the cream cheese could curdle. If you find the soup is too thick, add a bit more chicken broth.
- Remove from heat and top with green onions and mozzarella cheese before serving.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.