These spicy baked Mexican Chicken Egg Rolls are the perfect little appetizers! Forget about the fried restaurant version, these babies are baked and much better for you!
Did I ever tell you how much I love egg rolls? What’s not to love about them? Anytime you have anything delicious wrapped up in a little wrapper and fried, you’ve got a winner. However, I baked mine just to make them a bit healthier but I did brush them with butter just so you get that extra bit of flavour in there.
I knew I was onto something here when I tasted the filling and it was hard to stop myself from eating the whole thing before it even made it in the egg roll wrappers. Not that I would have minded, I’m sure I would have been happy either way, but the egg rolls are much better and so much more fun to eat.
Do you ever buy egg roll wrappers? If you don’t, I think you should. They are the perfect vessel for all kind of great stuff whether you’re looking for sweet or savoury. These egg rolls here are savoury, of a Mexican southwestern flavour, depends how you look at it. You can of course fry these and I’m sure they’ll be very delicious, but they were just as delicious baked, and needless to say I felt a little less guilty as I was eating them.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Spicy Baked Mexican Chicken Eggrolls
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts boneless and skinless, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 red bell pepper chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups baby kale roughly chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- 6 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 24 eggroll wrappers
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet then add chicken, cumin, chilli powder, cayenne pepper and cook until chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper, frozen corn, kale and salsa. Cook for 2 minutes or until peppers are tender. Add green onions, parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare all the egg rolls before baking. There should be about 24 egg roll wrappers in the package, so you should have more than enough mixture for all of them. Take a wrapper and in the middle place a tbsp or two of the chicken mixture. Brush with warm water around the edges. Wrap the rolls according to the wrapping instructions on the package. Repeat with remaining wrappers and mixture.
- Place egg rolls on prepared baking sheet. Brush each egg roll with the melted butter. Bake the egg rolls for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with salsa on the side.