This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Tamale Casserole in a Skillet made from scratch! Delicious cornbread crust topped with shredded chicken, enchilada sauce and loads of cheese, and clocking in at under 300 calories per serving!
Easy Chicken Tamale Casserole Recipe
I love love this chicken tamale casserole or pie or whatever you want to call it. I really do think that cornmeal is underrated. We need to cook more with cornmeal because look at the wonderful dishes you can create with it. Trust me when I tell you that this is a true comfort food. I’m talking lots of chicken, cheese and sauce, and lots of yumminess.
To top it all off, it’s really easy to make. I don’t think I need to tell you too much more because this casserole speaks for itself.
What Is A Tamale?
Tamale is a Mexican dish of seasoned meat wrapped in cornmeal dough and then steamed or baked in corn husks. You can then discard of the corn husks or use them as an all natural plate to eat the delicious tamales off of. Yep, pretty cool!
Now my dish here is not authentic by any means, it’s a casserole version with some of the same flavors, a cornbread crust topped with enchilada sauce, chicken and lots of cheese.
- Dry ingredients – Cornmeal, salt, baking powder, sugar.
- Wet ingredients – Buttermilk, melted unsalted butter, 1 egg, 1 can of creamed corn, and 1 can of diced green chilis.
- Cooked Chicken – I usually just buy a rotisserie chicken, shred it and use both white and dark meat.
- Enchilada sauce – 1 can, if you’d prefer to make it fresh please refer to my recipe listed down below.
- Cheese – I used freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese today. You can substitute this for cheddar or any kind of cheese that melts down well.
- Cilantro – Chopped up fine and sprinkled liberally over top, totally optional if you’re not a cilantro fan.
- Avocado – This will add a nice buttery texture to your finished dish.
- Jalapeno –for a little bit of heat.
- Pomegranate seeds – for garnish.
Make The Cornbread Batter
Start by turning on your oven to 400°F (204°C) to get it nice and hot.
Next, you’ll want to mix the dry ingredients together. To do this, add the cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder to a medium size bowl, then whisk together well.
Then add in the egg, buttermilk and buttermilk and whisk well. Finally, you’ll need to stir in the creamed corn and green chiles.
Bake The Cornbread
Pour the cornbread mixture into a large skillet or a 9×9-inch baking pan. Then transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the edge are golden and the cornbread is done. When a clean toothpick inserted in the center of the cornbread comes out clean, it’s done.
Assemble The Casserole
In a small bowl combine the shredded chicken with half the enchilada sauce well, making sure all the chicken is coated in sauce.
When the cornbread is done, poke holes into it with a fork, or I used the end of a wooden spoon. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the cornbread and spread. Top with shredded chicken and all the cheese.
Bake The Casserole
Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and has started to lightly brown on top. Let it cool for about 5 minutes, then top the casserole with cilantro and your favorite toppings and you’re done!
Want To Make Your Own Enchilada Sauce?
Making your own homemade enchilada sauce will really take this dish to the next level, believe me. I chose to use store bought today because I wanted to showcase how to achieve great flavor with relative ease. I have a recipe here on the blog for making this sauce yourself, it’s easy and super tasty!
What Else Can I Use In Beef Tamale Casserole?
There’s lots you can add or tweak in this dish, while I think the recipe described above is an absolute knock out any way you slice it, don’t be afraid to play around with your new favorite casserole.
|Ground beef||Cheddar cheese||Bell peppers|
|Ground pork||Mozzarella||Sweet potato|
|Ground veal||Queso Fresco||Black Beans|
|A combination of above meats||Tex Mex Cheese||Potatoes|
Want To Make This Dish Ahead?
You can store this dish in the fridge for 3 – 4 days as long as it’s stored in an airtight container or otherwise tightly sealed.
This entire chicken tamale casserole can be popped in the freezer, as long as it’s tightly sealed. It can be stored this way for up to 6 months and just needs to thaw out overnight in the fridge when ready to eat. Just pop it in the oven set at 350 F degrees for 30 minutes when ready to enjoy!
More Must Try Delicious Recipes
- Beef Tamale Recipe
- One Pot Cheesy Taco Orzo
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
- Fiesta Chicken Skillet Cobbler
- Skillet Lasagna
- Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- Skillet Chicken Satay
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- green onions
- pomegranate seeds
- sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Add the cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder to a medium size bowl and whisk together. Add the egg, butter, and buttermilk and whisk well. Stir in the creamed corn and the green chiles. Pour the cornbread mixture into a 12 inch skillet or a 9×9 inch baking pan.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. To make sure the cornbread is done, insert a toothpick in the center of the cornbread and if it comes out clean, it’s done.
- When the cornbread is done, poke holes into it with a fork, or I used the end of a wooden spoon.
- Mix half of the enchilada sauce with the shredded chicken. Pour the other half of the enchilada sauce over the top the cornbread. Top with shredded chicken and all the cheese.
- Bake the casserole for about 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and has started to brown on top.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes then top the casserole with any of the optional toppings listed before serving.
- This dish can be stored in the fridge for 3 – 4 days as long as it’s stored in an airtight container or otherwise tightly sealed.
- This entire casserole can be popped in the freezer, as long as it’s tightly sealed. It can be stored this way for up to 6 months and just needs to thaw out overnight in the fridge when ready to eat. Just pop it in the oven set at 350 F degrees for 30 minutes when ready to enjoy!
- Nutritional information does not include any of the optional toppings. Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.