Last updated on September 29th, 2018 at 10:50 am
This Skillet Chicken Pot Pie is the ultimate comfort food perfect for cold winter nights with a golden pastry crust and loaded with creamy chicken and veggies.
It’s definitely chicken pot pie weather here, it’s freezing cold outside and time for some pot pie. There are so many different variations of chicken pot pie and this is why it’s so great. It’s super easy to put together and you probably have all the ingredients already in your fridge or pantry. No matter how many versions of it there are, usually the main ingredients are chicken, carrots and peas in a creamy sauce then topped with either pie crust or puff pastry.
I wanted to make this version of chicken pot pie simple and turn it into something easy enough to put together on a busy weeknight, which is why I decided to make it in a skillet. If you want to simplify this pot pie even further, feel free to use already cooked chicken, especially if you have leftover chicken, or you could just buy a roast chicken and use the meat from it.
I also wanted to add some potatoes to it to make it a bit heartier and so this chicken pot pie is loaded with peas, carrots and potatoes. I used a can of cream of mushroom soup and some chicken broth but many times you can make a roux with some butter and flour, then add some stock to make a creamy sauce. However, I thought cream of mushroom soup will add great flavors to this pie and also simplify the recipe a bit. The only thing I’d recommend is that if you like a creamier filling, I’d add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, only because the potatoes will soak up some of the liquid as they cook while the pie bakes.
If you’re having some nasty cold weather like we are here, then go ahead and make a chicken pot pie like this one, it’s classic comfort!
If you love one-skillet recipes, try some more like:
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
- Skillet Sloppy Joe Casserole
- Skillet Pull Apart Bread with Spinach and Artichoke Dip
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 3 cup chicken breasts skinless boneless and chopped, about 1 lb
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (10 1/2 oz or 284 ml)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Preheat your oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for about 3 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and stir. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and thyme then stir. Cook for another 5 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the frozen peas and carrots. Stir in the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the cream of mushroom soup and chicken broth. Stir in the parsley.
- Cover the skillet with the puff pastry sheet then tuck in the edges. Brush with egg wash, then cut a couple slits in the center of the pie.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve warm.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!