This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Skillet Chicken Pot Pie is the ultimate comfort food perfect for cold winter nights with a golden pastry crust and loaded with creamy chicken and veggies.
Chicken Pot Pie
Traditional chicken pot pie with a homemade crust, while it tastes delicious, it takes a long time to make. But sometimes when I crave something as good as a chicken pot pie I don’t have the patience to wait a whole day till I make one. Which is why I love my skillet version!
There are so many different variations of chicken pot pie but it’s hard to beat my skillet version. It’s super easy to put together and you probably have all the ingredients already in your fridge or pantry. I wanted to make this version of chicken pot pie simple and turn it into something easy enough to put together on a busy weeknight, which is why I decided to make it in a skillet.
If you want to simplify this pot pie even further, feel free to use already cooked chicken, especially if you have leftover chicken. You could just buy a roast chicken and use the meat from it.
What Ingredients Are In Chicken Pot Pie
No matter how many versions of chicken pot pie there are, usually the main ingredients are chicken, carrots and peas in a creamy sauce then topped with either pie crust or puff pastry. Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
- Olive oil
- Chicken Breast
- Salt & Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Fresh Thyme
- Frozen Peas and Carrots
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Chicken Broth
- Puff Pastry Sheet
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
Saute the onion and celery in a little bit of olive oil in a large skillet. Cook the onion until it’s soft and translucent. Add the chicken breast, season it with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and thyme. Cook for about 5 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink.
I also added some potatoes to it to make it a bit heartier and so this chicken pot pie is loaded with peas, carrots and potatoes. I used a can of cream of mushroom soup and some chicken broth. You can also make a roux with some butter and flour, then add some stock to make a creamy sauce. However, I thought cream of mushroom soup will add great flavors to this pie and also simplify the recipe a bit. The only thing I’d recommend is that if you like a creamier filling, I’d add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, only because the potatoes will soak up some of the liquid as they cook while the pie bakes.
Cover the skillet with a puff pastry sheet, brush it with some beaten egg and cut a couple slits in the center of the pie. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown, at 350 F degrees.
Make Ahead Steps
You can definitely make this in steps if you wanted to. For example you could prepare the filling the day before, refrigerate it, then when ready to bake top it with the puff pastry and bake.
You could also transfer the pie filling into individual ramekins a day or so ahead of time. Cover them up and when ready to bake, top them with puff pastry and bake.
How Do You Store Leftover Chicken Pot Pie
If you have leftover chicken pot pie, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Keep in mind that the crust will soften and it won’t be as crispy as when fresh out of the oven.
Can You Freeze Chicken Pot Pie
To freeze this, I would recommend freezing it before baking it, so after you add the puff pastry, cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in the freezer. When ready to cook, remove from freezer, brush with the egg wash and place in the oven.
TRY THESE OTHER DELICIOUS RECIPES:
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
- Chicken Cacciatore
- Skillet Sloppy Joe Casserole
- One Pot Hamburger Helper Lasagna
- Chicken in Garlic and Herb Sauce
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 lb chicken breasts skinless boneless and chopped
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper or to taste
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp thyme fresh
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 10 ½ oz cream of mushroom soup (1 can)
- ½ cup chicken broth low sodium
- 1 tbsp parsley fresh, chopped
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Preheat oven: Preheat your oven to 350 F degrees.
- Saute onion and celery: In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for about 3 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add chicken and cook: Add the chicken to the skillet and stir. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and thyme then stir. Cook for another 5 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add frozen peas, carrots and potatoes: Add the frozen peas and carrots. Stir in the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the cream of mushroom soup and chicken broth. Stir in the parsley.
- Cover with puff pastry: Cover the skillet with the puff pastry sheet then tuck in the edges. Brush with egg wash, then cut a couple slits in the center of the pie.
- Bake: Bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Slice and serve warm.