Last updated on June 25th, 2018 at 09:27 pm
This Sloppy Joe Casserole is all made in one skillet! This super easy recipe features all the great flavors of your favorite Sloppy Joes and is topped with tender flaky biscuits.
Sloppy Joes are about as easy as you can get when making dinner. A sloppy Joe sandwich is basically ground beef and tomato sauce in a bun. Seriously that’s all there is to it. I decided to make a casserole out of it with biscuits on top. I also thought I could throw in some veggies in there, like mushrooms and carrots, because you really don’t taste it in the end and I’m all about hiding veggies. In my head it just makes this casserole this much healthier! Not to mention that since we only have the top of the bun, that’s even better, only half the carbs!
The beauty of this casserole is that you can do all this in a skillet and only 30 minutes, couldn’t get much easier than that. I used store bought Pillsbury biscuits and if you have any extra biscuits just bake them in the oven, they only take 11 minutes, and serve them along with this casserole.
I hope you love this recipe and give it a try, it’s really tasty and I threw in a secret ingredient in there, which is the cinnamon. Trust me it really makes the dish and adds some great flavor. Just go with it, you’ll love it. It’s packed with veggies and super tasty, how can you go wrong?
Try some of these other delicious and easy casseroles!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Skillet Sloppy Joe Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 10 oz mushrooms cleaned and chopped (I used cremini mushrooms)
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 package refrigerated biscuits such as Pillsbury
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- Preheat your oven to 400 F degrees.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil then add the ground beef. Cook the beef until it's no longer pink, breaking it up as you go along.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot and cook for about 3 more minutes until the onion and carrots soften a bit. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes, until the mushrooms cook down.
- Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, cinnamon, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Stir in the tomato sauce and ketchup. Remove from heat.
- Top with biscuits, as many as you can fit, probably about 7 or 8, then brush with the melted butter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown. Sprinkle the top of the biscuits with some pepper and/or parsley.
- Serve warm. You can also serve this with some shredded cheddar cheese if preferred.
Watch How To Make It
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!