This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Delicious Parmesan Pesto Twists perfect for a snack or as an easy and impressive appetizer. 4 ingredients are all you need!
I’m so excited to share these awesome pesto twists made with puff pastry, store bought pesto, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese with all of my lovely readers today! You can definitely make your own pesto though, and you can find many pesto recipes here on Jo Cooks, I’ve made it and used it in various recipes. But to keep this recipe quick and simple, store bought pesto works just as great.
This is such a superb appetizer that’s quick and perfect for those occasions when you just found out company’s coming over and need something to serve them. Simply roll out your puff pastry, spread the pesto, sprinkle with cheese, cut into strips and twist. Sometimes I like to make these just to snack on them around the house, sue me!
What Is Pesto?
Pesto is an Italian sauce, one that doesn’t require hours of simmering or a laundry list of ingredients. A basic traditional pesto uses crushed garlic, pine nuts, basil, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese. I’m telling you guys this because pesto is what’s going to pack all the flavor in our recipe today, it’s such a killer condiment whether you make it at home or pick it up at the store! To make your own pesto check out my super simple recipe.
What Is Puff Pastry?
This is a light and flaky pastry that involves placing butter within the dough, rolling out the dough and folding it over itself repeatedly. This achieves thin light layers sandwiched with lots of melty butter once it has cooked. If you like pastry dough that is crisp, flaky, and melt in your mouth good then puff pastry is for you. It’s great for simple appetizers such as these pesto twists.
- Pesto – I like to use store bought for this recipe as it’s quick and easy.
- Puff pastry – Again I’m using store bought. In regards to puff pastry there’s really not much of a difference when it comes to quality between home made and store bought, so feel free to make things easier for yourself.
- Parmesan – Freshly grated is a must! You should just keep a nice big hunk of this cheese ready to go in your fridge in case of emergencies.
- Egg – One entire egg beaten to brush over our twists as egg was at the end.
How To Make Parmesan Pesto Twists
- Preheat your oven: To 400 F degrees.
- Assemble the twists: Roll out the puff pastry sheet so that it’s about 15×12 inches on a floured work surface. Spread 1/2 cup of the pesto evenly over the puff pastry, you want to make sure it’s fully covered. Sprinkle half the parmesan cheese over the pesto.
- Prepare for baking: Cut into 1 inch strips. Fold each strip in half then pick it up and twist it a few times. Place the twists onto an ungreased baking sheet, leaving about an inch in between them. Repeat with remaining puff pastry sheet and remaining pesto and Parmesan cheese. Brush each twist with beaten egg.
- Finish the dish: Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before serving.
Can I Make My Own Pesto?
You definitely can, and as I always say, homemade is best. Using homemade pesto will totally take these twists out of orbit, and luckily for you I’ve got my favorite recipe for pesto here on the site.
What Can I Serve Alongside My Twists?
I mean it’s a crowd pleaser so if you’re making it for friends and family, pair it with some of your favorite finger foods! Here are some ideas to get you inspired:
- Potato Croquettes
- Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Skillet Pizza Dip
- Chimichurri Steak Quesadillas
- Parmesan Chicken Strips
You definitely can and best of all it’s super easy to prep these! Just coat the twists in your egg wash and put them right in the freezer still uncooked on your baking sheet. Once they’ve frozen through, transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag and they’ll last for up to 1 month!
When ready to eat just pop these bad boys still frozen on a baking sheet and bake at 400 F degrees for 15 minutes and you’re set!
More Must Try Recipes:
- Pesto Shrimp Asparagus Pasta
- Basil Pesto Risotto
- Easy Sausage Pesto Ring
- Parmesan Pesto Twists
- Chicken Pesto Caprese Pasta
- Roasted Red Pepper And Pecan Pesto Penne
- Arugula And Walnut Pesto Pasta
- Turkey Pesto Panini
- Greek Chicken Pasta
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Parmesan Pesto Twists
- Preheat your oven to 400 F degrees.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet so that it’s about 15×12 inches on a floured work surface.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the pesto evenly over the puff pastry, you want to make sure it’s fully covered.
- Sprinkle half the parmesan cheese over the pesto.
- Cut into 1 inch strips. Fold each strip in half then pick it up and twist it a few times. Place the twists onto an ungreased baking sheet, leaving about an inch in between them.
- Repeat with remaining puff pastry sheet and remaining pesto and Parmesan cheese.
- Brush each twist with beaten egg.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before serving.
- I used pesto from a jar. You’re free to use your own homemade pesto.
- Other sauces such as marinara or red pesto will work for this recipe as well.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.