This Easy Sausage-Pesto Ring makes for the perfect snack or appetizer. Take country biscuit dough, filled with Italian sausage, pesto and loaded with cheese and butter. Absolutely delicious!
It always makes me extremely happy when I find new ways of using store bought country biscuit dough, because as much as I enjoy baking I always love a quick and easy recipe, especially when the end result is this incredible sausage-pesto ring. Plus I think this recipe is perfect to start off my fall baking season, because we all know I’ll be baking up a storm in my kitchen.
I love baking savory things like this because who wants just a plain old biscuit? These biscuits are loaded with flavor from the yummy Italian sausage that’s cooked together with Italian seasoning and pizza sauce, to the delicious pesto and finally to the mozzarella and emmental cheese.
I came across this idea in the Fall Baking issue of Better Homes and Gardens and thought it was genius. I decided to spice up my sausage, because nobody wants just plain old sausage so I cooked it with some Italian seasoning, for greater Italian flavor and made it a bit saucy by adding some pizza sauce to it. So we’ve got pizza sauce, sausage, and cheese. Sound familiar?
But the best part about this ring is that pesto, at least I think so because I love any sort of pesto and I’m crazy enough to put pesto on anything. Talk about flavor galore here!
For the cheese, I decided to mix Mozzarella cheese for the stringy factor with some Emmental cheese which I absolutely love. Emmental cheese is just a medium-hard Swiss cheese and it’s quite mild in taste. Watch the video below to see how to put it all together, but it’s really simple and the end result is so worth it!
Try these other fantastic ring recipes:
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Easy Sausage Pesto Ring
- 4 tbsp butter unsalted, melted
- 3/4 lb Italian sausage casings removed
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup Emmental cheese shredded *
- 2 packages refrigerated biscuits such as Pillsbury
- 1/2 cup basil pesto store bought
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Grease a 10 inch bundt pan with 2 tbsp of the melted butter. Set aside.
- Cook the sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat, until it's no longer pink, breaking it up as you go along. Stir in pizza sauce then season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Remove from heat and cool for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium size bowl combine the mozzarella cheese with the emmental cheese.
- Top each biscuit with a tsp of pesto, 1 or 2 tsp of the sausage mixture, then 1 tbsp of cheese. Stack four biscuits on top of each other, press gently. Turn the stack on its side, and place in the prepared bundt pan. Repeat with the remaining biscuits, arranging biscuit stacks in pan to create a ring. You should still have some leftover cheese. Drizzle the ring with the remaining 2 tbsp melted butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the bread with the remaining cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the top is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cool the bread in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and serve warm.
Here are some products you may need for this recipe