Loaded Pub Fries – just like the pub fries from your local pub, just made at home, healthier and yummier.
I need to be honest with you. We don’t eat out much. Actually we go through phases. We had a phase where every Tuesday night we’d go for wings at our local pub, and only because they were $0.29 a wing and you can’t go wrong with that. But eventually we got tired of it. There’s only so many wings one can eat, even though I LOVE wings, pretty much any way you can serve them. Granted, I do go out with family and friends every once in a while, but as a couple we are currently in the phase of cooking at home and eating at home.
I mean we are food bloggers after all, so we cook and eat. However, that’s not to say I don’t miss pub food. And that’s why I try and make it at home whenever I can and have the ingredients on hand. Like now. Like these loaded pub fries.
Because I make these at home I can also control what ingredients I use, so if I can make something healthier I will. This is why I used turkey bacon here. Ok, let’s be honest, I used turkey bacon because I didn’t have the real bacon. Doesn’t matter, I still like turkey bacon, and so did the dog. And double YAY because it’s better for you.
You know I love my oven fries. We make oven fries weekly. And this was no exception. I seasoned these bad boys with some paprika, garlic salt and pepper and tossed them in a bit of melted butter and olive oil. I wanted them nice and crispy so I roasted them at 425 F degrees, this way they’re done faster and you really get a nice crisp on them. So much better than real fries. These are real home fries. It’s sad how much I love these fries.
Their crispy exterior and their soft interior, perfectly spiced and seasoned, baked to a crispy perfection, what’s a girl to do but … eat them. Too much?
I think not! But because these are pub fries, we don’t just stop at perfect oven fries. No, my friends. We first need to load them up with some nice sharp cheddar cheese. Just like that…
AND then we need to place them under the broiler for just a couple minutes until that cheese melts and becomes delicious gooey cheese over them fries. Just like that…
AND then we load them up! With sour cream, some chopped green onions, and loads of turkey bacon, because it’s turkey bacon, less fat, more bacon. Just like that…
AND like that…
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Loaded Pub Fries
- 8 slices turkey bacon cut in small pieces and cooked crisp
- 4 large potatoes or 6 medium
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel the potatoes, if preferred, and cut into equal size wedges. Wash potato wedges and place them in a bowl. Pour butter and olive over potatoes, add garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper; toss potatoes with spices and butter. Pour the potatoes to a large baking sheet and bake for about 30 to 45 minutes or until nice and golden and crisp.
- You can now leave the potatoes on a baking sheet or place them in an oven safe skillet. Top the oven fries with the cheese and place them under the broiler for 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Top oven fries with sour cream, green onions and turkey bacon.