This Roasted Red Pepper and Pecan Pesto Penne has a delicious pesto sauce made with roasted red pepper and pecans over penne. You won’t believe you were able to make such a tasty dish in under 30 minutes.
Roasted Red Pepper And Pecan Pesto Penne
Now try saying that title ten times fast, bit of a tongue twister in pronunciation and flavor. If you’ve been day dreaming at all lately about burying yourself in a creamy, dreamy pasta then this comforting penne is simply perfect.
The roasted red pepper and pecan pesto just give this recipe so much complex flavor and are a nice summery twist on a classic dish. I’m able to whip it up in about 20 minutes so it’s my go to dish for those nights when the couch calls just as strongly as the fridge.
Ingredients In Roasted Red Pepper Pecan Pesto Penne
- Pasta – I like to use penne or fettuccine but any pasta will work.
- Pesto – This pesto is made up of: pecans, roasted red peppers, fresh basil, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil.
- Heavy cream – We want something with lots of fat as a base for this saucy penne recipe, lower fat content will work but keep in mind it may result in a more liquid-y sauce.
- Cheese – I like to use something mild and melty in a recipe like this, stronger cheeses like cheddar might over power our flavors.
- Bacon – Fried up before incorporating. Cooked, shredded chicken is a nice substitute if that’s what’s available.
- Salt & Pepper – To taste, keep in mind that the bacon will give this dish quite a bit of salt already.
How To Make Roasted Red Pepper And Pecan Penne
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found on my printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Prepare the pasta: Boil according to package instructions and set aside after draining.
- Make the pesto: In a food processor combine the pecans, roasted red peppers from the jar, basil, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil. Pulse this together well until it becomes a paste.
- Combine the pesto and pasta: In a large saucepan add the roasted red pepper paste and start with 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Cook over medium heat until it starts to boil; add mozzarella cheese and remaining heavy cream if sauce is too thick. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Finish the red pepper and pecan penne: Cook this until the cheese melts and then add the pasta and cooked crumbled bacon. Garnish with parsley and serve hot!
Storing Leftover Penne
This dish will last 3 – 4 days sealed well in the fridge and up to 3 months frozen. It can be microwaved to reheat or heated up right in the oven still frozen.
Craving More Pasta Recipes: Try These:
- Penne with Prosciutto, Tomatoes and Zucchini
- Penne with Cream and Smoked Salmon
- Tomato Basil and Spinach Penne
- Leftover Ham And Cheese Penne
- Baked Penne With Italian Sausage
- Crack Chicken Penne
- Cheesy Taco Pasta
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Roasted Red Pepper and Pecan Pesto Penne
- 12 ounce pasta such as penne, or fettuccine
- 1 cup pecans
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup basil fresh
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup roasted red peppers 1 small jar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 6 slices bacon fried or leftover chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- Boil pasta according to package instructions.
- In a food processor add pecans, garlic, basil, Parmesan cheese, olive oil and roasted red peppers. Pulse until everything together until it turns into a paste.
- In a sauce pan, add the roasted red pepper paste and start with 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Cook over medium heat until it starts to boil; add mozzarella cheese and remainder 1/2 cup of heavy cream if sauce is too thick. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Cook until cheese melts then add the pasta, bacon and toss everything together.
- Serve with some extra grated Parmesan cheese on top.