This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Skillet Lasagna is all done in one pot and in 30 minutes! Your family favorite dinner is now so much easier without all the hassle and ready in a fraction of the time.
Easy Skillet Lasagna
This easy skillet lasagna is perfect for busy weeknights, all done in one pot and just 30 minutes. This is always a family favorite, and the epitome of Italian comfort food. I used to make lasagna only once or twice a year because of all the work and effort it took. However, since I’ve been making it in a skillet like this, we make it often because it’s super quick, yet all the same tastes and flavors we all love of a traditional lasagna.
What Ingredients Are In Lasagna
This lasagna really is delicious and I find that it’s all about the herbs I use here that really flavor the lasagna nicely and give it that sauce that taste like it’s been cooking for hours. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Ground Beef
- Dried Rosemary
- Salt & Pepper
- Dried Oregano
- Dried and Fresh Basil
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Pasta of your choice – I used shells, but you can use elbow macaroni, penne, rigatoni, whatever you have.
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Ricotta Cheese
How To Make Skillet Lasagna
This dish is as simple as it gets. It all gets cooked in one pot including the pasta! To get started cook the beef in a large skillet. Cook it for about 5 minutes or until it’s no longer pink. I used extra lean ground beef so there was no fat to drain, but drain the meat if you need to. Add the herbs, garlic salt and pepper, then stir everything together. Cook for another 30 seconds until the garlic becomes aromatic.
Add the crushed tomatoes, water and pasta to the skillet. Stir everything together and make sure the pasta is fully submerged in the water. Cook for about 10 minutes until the pasta is al dente. Al dente means the pasta is cooked but still firm when bitten.
Top with ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella cheese, transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes in a 450 F degree preheated oven, just until the cheese melts. Garnish with some fresh basil and serve!
Other Pasta You Can Use For Skillet Lasagna
You can really use any pasta you choose. Since it’s a skillet lasagna, you could use regular lasagna sheets and just break them into pieces. I love to use these pasta shells because they are great for holding all that yummy sauce. Here are some other types of pasta you can use:
- Elbow Macaroni
You can also use whole wheat pasta or other gluten free pastas. The only thing to watch out for is the amount of liquid they require to cook as some may absorb more liquid than others.
How Long Does Pasta Take To Cook In A One Pot Dish
This also depends on the type of pasta you used. The smaller pasta will take less time, but in general, penne, shells or any of the pastas mentioned above should still take anywhere from 10 to 12 minutes to cook to al dente. As your pasta cooks, make sure to stir occasionally to keep the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
The easiest way to tell if your pasta is cooked is to taste one and if the pasta is cooked but still a bit firm when bitten, you’re done. Don’t worry if you feel there’s too much liquid left in the pot. The pasta will continue to absorb liquid as it cools, and you’ll see once it’s cooled, there will hardly be any liquid left in the pot.
What To Serve With Lasagna
My favorite way to eat lasagna is just with some delicious crusty bread, but here are some other suggestions:
How To Store Leftover Lasagna
Cool the lasagna first, then cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil or if it’s cooled completely you can use plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
Can You Freeze Lasagna
Lasagna is freezer friendly. For this skillet lasagna, let it cool completely at room temperature. Transfer it to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
TRY THESE OTHER LASAGNA RECIPES:
- Lasagna Roll-ups
- Easy Beef Lasagna
- Taco Lasagna
- Lasagna Soup
- Hamburger Helper Lasagna
- Chicken Lasagna Alla Bolognese
- Zucchini Lasagna
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
- 1 lb ground beef extra lean
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp basil dried
- 1 tsp rosemary dried
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes 1 can
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb pasta I used shells
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp basil fresh, chopped
- Preheat your oven: Preheat oven to 450 F degrees.
- Cook ground beef: In a large oven safe skillet add the ground meat and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the meat is no longer pink. Drain the meat if you need to. Add the garlic, salt, pepper and dry herbs. Stir to combine and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and water: Add crushed tomatoes, water and pasta to the skillet. Make sure there's enough water so that the pasta is fully submerged. Cook until pasta is al dente about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir the pasta occasionally to keep the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
- Top with cheese and bake: Remove the skillet from heat. Dollop the ricotta cheese over the top then top with Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 5 to 10 minutes until cheese has melted and it's slightly golden.
- Garnish and serve: Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh basil.