Last updated on April 13th, 2019 at 10:32 pm
One Pot Cheesy Taco Orzo – picture the yumminess with this quick and delicious pot of perfect comfort food, ready in 30 minutes! Enjoy a big bowl of cheesy gooey goodness!
You know, I really feel like a domestic diva when I cook dishes like this, and by dishes like this I mean cook with ingredients I have in my fridge and pantry. Now I know my pantry is probably stocked with a lot more crap than most people, and yes I say crap because I have some stuff in there that I still don’t know what to do with, but needless to say the ingredients for this dish should be pretty easy for everyone to find in their pantry and fridge. I probably have at least 2 dozen different pastas, but I have to admit that my favorite pasta is orzo, probably because it looks like rice and it cooks really fast.
The thing is, I really dig this dish (do people still say dig?) because I’m a sucker for anything cheesy, especially cheesy pasta. And I even like to fool myself into thinking this dish is healthy because I did add some veggies to it, like the bell pepper and all those toppings like the tomatoes, green onions and olives.
At the very least, I think you should bookmark this recipe for a busy weeknight or when you’re in a pinch because you couldn’t get off any easier with making dinner. I even went ahead and made another video for you guys, which was another big struggle. After everything was said and done, I realized that for a lot of the video, I was actually in front of the camera and you couldn’t see much of what I was doing, thank God for cropping.
Another thing I love about this dish is how pretty and colorful it is, because as you all know we first eat with our eyes, and I’m all about colorful and pretty dishes. One last thing to mention here is the more cheese the better, although I only list one cup of shredded cheese in the ingredients list, go big or go home, especially if you’re looking for that super cheesy dish. Calories shmalories, forget about them, go for the cheese!
Do you love cheese as much as I do? Try these recipes!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
One Pot Cheesy Taco Orzo
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups dry orzo
- 2 cups taco skillet sauce
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp hot sauce such as Sriracha
- 1 cup shredded cheese I used a blend of Mozzarella and Cheddar
- tomatoes chopped
- olives chopped
- green onions chopped
- fresh cilantro chopped
- Add the ground beef to a large skillet and brown it over medium-high heat until it's no longer pink, breaking it up as you go along.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic to the skillet and let it cook for about a minute, then add the chopped bell pepper. Stir everything together and cook for about 3 minutes until the onion is translucent and the pepper is tender.
- Add the dry orzo to the skillet and turn the heat down to medium low. Stir in the taco skillet sauce and the chicken broth, season with salt and pepper then add the hot sauce. Cook for about 10 to 12 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cheese and remove from heat.
- Top with tomatoes, olives, green onions and fresh cilantro before serving.
Watch How To Make It
Love this simple 30 minute recipe? Check out my cookbook, 30-Minute One-Pot Meals, 80 recipes in total!
Products you may need for this recipe: