Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole – 4 ingredients is all it takes to make this popular Mexican dish. It’s cheesy, it’s spicy, it’s sinfully delicious.
Mexican food is my weakness. Totally! I love all Mexican food. I love going to Mexican restaurants and trying everything on the menu. But I also love to make Mexican food. This chicken enchilada casserole only requires 4 ingredients, so it doesn’t get any easier than this.
I love chicken enchiladas and this casserole is even easier to make than making regular chicken enchiladas because you just layer your ingredients. Even a kid could make this.
And if you want to have some fun, have a mojito while you make this, or with it, before or after or during, doesn’t really matter. If you have a sombrero you might even want to wear that and make this chicken enchilada while dancing to the Mexican hat dance song.
Ok, now I have that song stuck in my head. Anywho here’s how you make this awesome dish. Pretty simple, I cooked the chicken in the enchilada sauce, just so it gets that nice flavor from the sauce and it’s nice and moist, but if you want you could also use roast chicken and make this even easier. But you will love this chicken cooked in the enchilada sauce. It’s amazing.
Although that looks like a lot of chicken, it’s only 2 breasts. Once the chicken is cooked, you just have to layer your casserole. I started with a bit of sauce at the bottom of the baking dish just so that it’s all nice and gooey and the corn tortillas don’t stick to the bottom. I got 3 layers here so to layer is simple. After you put some sauce on the bottom of the dish, you layer with 2 tortillas, 1/3 of the chicken, 1/3 of the sauce, 1/3 of the cheese and repeat 2 more times.
I used Monterey Jack cheese just because I think it goes really well in Mexican food, it’s milder and creamier, so it’s perfect in this casserole.
After you bake it, I dare you not to eat a piece right away. I don’t think you can do it. The smell just drove my poor beagle crazy! Not only her, but me as well.
This chicken enchilada casserole, 4 ingredients only, one of the best Mexican dishes you’ll ever have.
- 1 14 oz jar Enchilada sauce
- 2 to 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 6 corn tortillas, 6 inch each
- 2 chicken breasts
- Cut each chicken breast in about 3 pieces, so that it cooks faster and put it in a small pot. Pour Enchilada sauce over it and cook covered on low to medium heat until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. No water is needed, the chicken will cook in the Enchilada sauce. Make sure you stir occasionally so that it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Remove chicken from the pot and shred with two forks.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Start layering the casserole. Start with about ¼ cup of the leftover Enchilada sauce over the bottom of a baking dish. I used a longer baking dish, so that I can put 2 corn tortillas across. Place 2 tortillas on the bottom, top with ⅓ of the chicken and ⅓ of the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with ⅓ of the cheese and repeat starting with 2 more tortillas, then chicken, sauce, cheese. Repeat with last layer with the remaining ingredients, tortillas, chicken, sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes uncovered, until bubbly and cheese has melted and started to brown on top.
- Serve warm.
Do you love enchilada casseroles? Try this amazing Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole!
Or give this yummy white chicken enchiladas a try!